What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Claymore opinion

Would like to get a general consensus on what one would pay for a Claymore practice mine (just one). no wiring, no accesories, just one mine. Have never tracked the pricing on these and would really like to know just what a "fair" price would be to pay for one......Dano

Attachments

• pix556173781.jpg
    pix556173781.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Dano,

The value of dummy/inert training claymores can vary according to the vintage and composition. In the good old days during Nam, they made inert trainers by taking a real claymore body with the frag balls glued in the front, and slapped a simulated explosive mass inside, then painted a blue stripe on the mine. That model would be the most desireable and most expensive. The one you show in your post looks to be one of the most recent, where they actually used blue plastic to make the body and purposely leave out the frag balls, so that the mine couldn't be activated.

I'm not sure what your final goal is, but if you ever plan to add a spool of wire and a clacker (generator) and circuit text block to the collection, I would encourage you to try to buy a complete set with the carrying bag, etc. A real good price for a complete set would be $100.00 or less. I personally wouldn't pay more than $50.00 for a solid blue plastic model like the one you have shown.

Not to dispute John's or Jolly's opinion, they see what they see, but the good ones I've pondered were in the $200-250 range as a set. That Gunbroker Auction ain't over. And that appears to be a nice, clean, complete kit. My bet is it'll go for over $200. I know the economy sucks, but $125 is WAY low for that particular listing. Somebody's gonna pay a lot more than that.

Dan,

Can I see a picture of the other side?

V40

Package arrived today?

Also Dan,

you may find another one or not. The fact is that even the plastic ones (Blue) are taken after a good use and thrown away like beer cans of Moosehead.

Mark

About a month ago on e-bay a guy was selling about 7 or 8 complete kits,he started them a $100.00,and he did not sell them all.They let him even.Ha Dano the really old ones are different,you can tell by the shape between the fuses,front view.
vinny :tinysmile_classes_t

supply and demand

Not to dispute John's or Jolly's opinion, they see what they see, but the good ones I've pondered were in the $200-250 range as a set. That Gunbroker Auction ain't over. And that appears to be a nice, clean, complete kit. My bet is it'll go for over $200. I know the economy sucks, but $125 is WAY low for that particular listing. Somebody's gonna pay a lot more than that.
In certain markets i'd have to agree, but now there are many on the market and the demand is low. If I don't get the one i'm after I have a "plan B" and will still come in under budget. Most collectors that want a Claymore set already have one....Dano

Dano,

The GB Auction Claymore mentioned would be the correct type for a VN Era Example / Collection. As shown with the clacker, test light and bag, it is well worth $200.00+. You will see 100's Examples of The M33 Blue Body types for every example of this type. I have no connection to the auction or seller, just say'n.

Also remember that the M33 Blue Body Practice Types are not correct for VN Era.

Stay safe,

Frank

What about an M33 Claymore set with 01-74 date on back complete with case wire spool and clacker. 01-74 certainly puts it in the Vietnam era??? Dano

I guess it would depend on how you defined the era. The war went on till 75, but we were officially out of it by March of 1973.

I guess it would depend on how you defined the era. The war went on till 75, but we were officially out of it by March of 1973.
"Peace with Honor", If you bought Nixon's line we were out in 73 but still had many troops there till the end. I for one consider 1-74 very much war-time but it is an opinion only. All I know is when my Claymore set gets here I willl take all my old plastic army men and my old GI-Joes and line up in front of the mine and hit the clicker....Dano

Dan,

We used the Mk.2 "Pineapple" grenade into Vietnam, so, I am uncertain if we used the "Practice" version of it then for the training of Indeginous Troops.

By the way, the history books will show that the Vietnam war ended April, 1975 because we still had ground troops out there and advisors. "We Left, We didn't Loose"!!!!!!!!

The Claymore mine is getting rarer as we speak and yes it is very much Vietnam. There were dozens of modifications done to the mine before it was in service and during its service life. There is a good book around if you can still find it? It is called: The History of the Claymore Mine" I will send the info out on it if anybody wants it?

V40
Mark

Last edited: