What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning and preserving ammunition.

headup123

Hi Folks,
I'd like some advice if possible please.

I've got various German 20 and 30mm rounds in varying states from very good to poor and want to know how best to clean them and preserve them to stop corrosion etc etc.

I've trawled through the site, and past posts are few on this subject. I've seen warm water and detergent, solutions of various salts(!), WD40 and Evapo-Rust.

Some of the MK108 rounds smell (stink!) of, what I think is preserving oil/grease, and charge/propellant residue. Some might like it on the odd one but I'd like to reduce it, so again any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers HU123

p.s. A congratulations to the owners/moderators as this is one of the most friendliest, helpful and interesting sites out there!

Thanks for that Dave. Some useful bits there. I was more wondering in the rust/corrosion dept?

In the other posts Evapo-Rust and tea tree oil for release/penetrating oil, which sounds good??

Cheers HU123

Dave,
Thanks for the link. As NM says interesting stuff.
Funny, on going to the post I had a quick glance and not until I went back to read in detail that I saw it wasn't a jar of Hellmans Mayo....:bigsmile:.

Possibly this and Evapo-Rust are very similar in content?

Evapo-Rust seems to be very kind to paint, what's your stuff like to ammo paint work?

Cheers HU123

Dave,
Thanks for the link. As NM says interesting stuff.
Funny, on going to the post I had a quick glance and not until I went back to read in detail that I saw it wasn't a jar of Hellmans Mayo....:bigsmile:.

Possibly this and Evapo-Rust are very similar in content?

Evapo-Rust seems to be very kind to paint, what's your stuff like to ammo paint work?

Cheers HU123

Yes its also very kind to paint provided of course the paint isn't flaking off in the first place. If the paint has rust stains on it it gets the staining off too. It also gets brass clean, if you happen to have a shell case that's been neglected severely for a lot of years such as being in the ground try putting it in the solution for 24 hours and then wiping it over under running cold water with a non scratch pan scourer, they come up line new!
Dave.

Dave,
Great!, many thanks. They sound as if they are similar in what they do.

As this is easier to get and relatively cheap I'm going for that!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers HU123