What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cleaning out the threads

peashooter

BOCN Supporter
Can anyone tell me the thread types on a No.5 mills I need to clean them out I am not going to go mad with the restoration but I would like to get a filler & base plug to screw in, it has taken months soaking in wd40 to finally get the old filler plug unscrewed and it will need a bit of tlc to make it look pretty again :tinysmile_cry_t2:

cheers

Richard

Can anyone tell me the thread types on a No.5 mills I need to clean them out I am not going to go mad with the restoration but I would like to get a filler & base plug to screw in, it has taken months soaking in wd40 to finally get the old filler plug unscrewed and it will need a bit of tlc to make it look pretty again :tinysmile_cry_t2:

cheers

Richard

You could buy a set of Mills thread taps from dugup.
Dave.
http://www.dugup.co.uk/oridinance/ordinance_5.htm

can anyone tell me what the threads are as I have a few friends work in engineering so I may be able beg or borrow

Richard.

Not "off the shelf" items.

Peashooter, these taps for the base plug are special and you will not be able to buy them "off the shelf"

So a company that has has them made has done so especially for the purpose.
So unless you know someone who can make one , ie cut it, grind it and heat treat it then this company may well be one of very few sources.

If memory serves me correctly the filler plug is a 1/2" Whitworth thread which is standard and would be available "off the shelf" in many tool stores.
Good luck in your restoration.

Hi Richard,

the No 5 Gren will need a tap of whitworth 7/16ths with 20 tpi [turns per inch] and the base plug, which is the same for all Mills grens is 1 1/4 W again 20 tpi.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Oop's wrong size thread

Hi Richard,

the No 5 Gren will need a tap of whitworth 7/16ths with 20 tpi [turns per inch] and the base plug, which is the same for all Mills grens is 1 1/4 W again 20 tpi.

Hope this helps.

Andy
Thanks Gothica seems the ole memory is not what it used to be!!!!

Peashooter,

Try www.tracytools.com but note that the threads are 'Whitworth form' not 'Whitworth' They're not BS Cycle (the included angle of which is 60 deg.) They're possibly a form of BS Brass, but strictly speaking can't, as they're not 26 tpi. The staff there are very helpful.

Regards

TimG