What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning the inert CS grenade from the irritant odour?

goran_croatia

My friend from Slovenia has in his collection one empty grenade which was filled with CS powder when it was "live".It was exploding type,not the smoke one.So he bought that grenade a few years ago,and it is completly inert and empty from the inside,but when you unscrew the fuze and come closer to the hole on the body for screwing the fuze with your nose,you can feel irritation in your nose,some kind of irritant smell.It is not strong,but it is unpleasant.
It looks completly clean from the inside,but I am curious,how collectors eliminate that irritant odour from empty inert CS grenades?

CS

It is hard to eliminate that odour, because he had entered into the plastic. Fill the body with activated carbon (from an old gasmask for example); it will do that work inside in course of a year at least.

Ahh, memories. Who can forget the smell of CS drifting out of your locker from your NBC training kit :)

He told me that he had found on the net that it could be neutralised with the solution of water and 5-10% of sodium bicarbonate,but he put the body of the grenade in that solution for one whole day-and there was no result-smell was still in the grenade's empty body.....

Supposedly (as I have never tested this out), Decontamination of material after contamination with CS can be done with a 5-10% soda solution or a 2% alkaline solution. There's also an 'odour eliminator' roduct called 'NOK-OUT' which claims to be able to remove the smell of CS.

Supposedly (as I have never tested this out), Decontamination of material after contamination with CS can be done with a 5-10% soda solution or a 2% alkaline solution. There's also an 'odour eliminator' roduct called 'NOK-OUT' which claims to be able to remove the smell of CS.

That is the information which I also found on the web,but what is alkaline solution?What can be used as alkaline solution,easily available in the stores or supermarkets?

hi goran

alkaline mean the PH is upper 7.

The ammoniac is an alkaline, and i think you can easely buy some.