What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coffman - cartridges

flare

Ich bin in Formationen Benutzer , Bilder und Manahmen fr mein neues Buch ber das Projekt wiriting 1 " Coffman startercartridge . Fhlen Sie sich frei , mich zu kontaktieren !

Attachments

• 72.jpg
    72.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 73.JPG
    73.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 74.JPG
    74.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 50
Sorry - i used the translation - programm.
Im searching informations, pictures and measures for my new book wiriting project about the 1" Coffman startercartridge. Feel free to contact me!

thanks in forward

It looks like a Cartridge Electric Engine Starter 35gr No 7 Mk 1. Length is 4.3 inches. Outside diameter (of the base) is 1.05 inches.
Main charge is a single tube of cordite. A priming charge is of cordite pellets.

Herewith, a diagram of the Coffman Starter as would be used on an aircraft utilising a Rolls-Royce Griffon aero engine(s).

I had previously assumed the propellant was consumed within the case, this however is not situation. The propellant is ejected from the case and is stopped by the 'Nose Grid' where combustion is completed.

Regards

TimG

Attachments

• coffman.jpg
    coffman.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 57
Flare asked me to clarify his request.

He is looking for any information on the cartridges and their variations as well as any available documents on them. Photos of the cartridges are also welcome.

Is he just interested in the 1" Cartridge or all the different sizes?

No1 Mk1 was used on the Gipsy Major in the Chipmunk. I cannot remember how big it was

Last edited:
Breeze 4g starter cart. ,i think these were used for the Bristol Centaurus radial engine ,ie.Hawker Sea Fury.

cheers,
Bob

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 28