What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Convert WWII #36 MKI to WWI

I am a WW1 collector and have this WWII #36 Mills that I want to convert to WW1. I know what I need to do paint wise, ans also know I need a WW1 dated base plug. What about the rest of the bits. Are WW1 and WWII the same? If not what changes will I need to make???...Dano

Last edited:
Hello mate,
I think externally the WW1 36 was the same but not too sure on the makers mark on the front. Base plugs are different mind.

Hi Dano,

the filler screw will need to be brass or steel, not zinc alloy and you will need a cast iron WW1 dated base plug. These can be hard to find in good condition and therefore pricey.
Also, to do the job propery you will need an aluminium centre tube too, not the zinc jobbie. The WW1 36 ally centre tube isnt the same as the No 5 ally tube and hard to find.
I would look for an original gren rather than make up a hybrid.

Andy

Andy and Rob, Thanks so much for the input. The centretube don't bother me as it don't have one anyway. I am a WW1 collector and just want a "reasonable facsimile" of a WW1 #36MK1. I am not a stickler for the minor details...Dano

Pm me Dano if you want a relic WW1 No 36 cast iron base plug. Threads fine but you cant really read the markings.

Andy