What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copy from German Flak time fuze S-30

tube8

Nice fuzes which are made post war.
One fuze(the dark one) is the Russian TM-30, the other both are made from CZ, model mczS30, one in aluminium, one in steal.

All fuzes come from offizeiel place where they was inert.

I think they all copy of the german S-30 time fuze from war time.

Or do the russian have this fuze also in war time?

Attachments

• egunOkt10 (138).jpg
    egunOkt10 (138).jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 61
  • egunOkt10 (128).jpg
    egunOkt10 (128).jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 57
  • egunOkt10 (136).jpg
    egunOkt10 (136).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 55
  • egunOkt10 (139).jpg
    egunOkt10 (139).jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 43
  • egunOkt10 (135).jpg
    egunOkt10 (135).jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 42
  • egunOkt10 (141).jpg
    egunOkt10 (141).jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 49
I dont know about Russian TM-30, but the same russian fuze VM-30 & VM-45 used in WWII and it is a pure copy of the Germans fuzes S-30 and S-60.

Attachments

• BM-30_1.jpg
    BM-30_1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 56
Hootch, sorry, the VM-30 and VM-45 were not in use in the USSR in WWII. They came much later.

The USSR captured plenty of German ZtZS/30 and adopted them officially for their 85mm AA gun ammo. These fuzes were used with adaptors which contained a saftey device (from the Soviet T-5) and a booster to make up for the differences between German and Russian ammunition design principles. Then the USSR started to produce direct copies of the German fuzes and designated them TM-30 - this was till a direct copy down to the German thread M50x3 (likely even on German machinery). Only then the VM-30 and VM-45 got launched into production and were nothing else but the same German fuze (design) which had now the parts of the adaptor-booster incorporated into the fuze.

Found a couple of pictures where to sit the VM-30. Very well see that he was of the same type, but much more bigger that German S-xx. Maybe you're right. I think so because all these fuzes are lifted out of the water in the discharge of weapons.

Attachments

• P6300056.jpg
    P6300056.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 30
  • P6300058.jpg
    P6300058.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 36
Hootch, check the lot numbers on your VM-30 and you will find the year of manufacture.

I dont know about Russian TM-30, but the same russian fuze VM-30 & VM-45 used in WWII and it is a pure copy of the Germans fuzes S-30 and S-60.

Hi Hootch,

Thank for posting the dismantled parts as I have been wondering how to dissemble my Zt t s/30.
So far I have removed 4 x retaining grub screws around the body base, and gather it now should just unscrew? Is is clockwise or anti-clockwise as it won't budge at this stage?

The single large screw in the base I gather just secures the clock mechanism?

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Hi Hootch,

Thank for posting the dismantled parts as I have been wondering how to dissemble my Zt t s/30.
So far I have removed 4 x retaining grub screws around the body base, and gather it now should just unscrew? Is is clockwise or anti-clockwise as it won't budge at this stage?

The single large screw in the base I gather just secures the clock mechanism?

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

The retaining ring will unscrew anticlockwise, (you may need to apply gentle heat to melt the wax) this will let you remove the top cone, the clockwork mechanism can be removed from the base by removing the 3 small retaining nuts using a flat head screwdriver. Behind the large single screw is the cavity where the gain would have been housed.

Darren

Last edited:
Hi Darren,

Where's exactly is the wax? Has it been applied on the retaining ring's screw thread?

What do you suggest for gentle heat - a hair dryer?

At this stage it ain't budging and wondering if the retaining ring is "seiged" due to rust, although the grub screws did eventually all come out.

I'm think of making a tool to fit into two directly opposite retaining rings slots, while the fuse is held in a vice with wood....but then I'm pretty hopeless with tool making, probably as I have no machines.........
Cheers
Drew

..but then it may just be "easier" to buy one that I can pull apart!!!!
I had this fuse for years and only decided to dismantle it due to a recent posting about markings on theclock mechanism..

Last edited:
Hi Darren,

Where's exactly is the wax? Has it been applied on the retaining ring's screw thread?

What do you suggest for gentle heat - a hair dryer?

At this stage it ain't budging and wondering if the retaining ring is "seiged" due to rust, although the grub screws did eventually all come out.

I'm think of making a tool to fit into two directly opposite retaining rings slots, while the fuse is held in a vice with wood....but then I'm pretty hopeless with tool making, probably as I have no machines.........
Cheers
Drew

..but then it may just be "easier" to buy one that I can pull apart!!!!
I had this fuse for years and only decided to dismantle it due to a recent posting about markings on theclock mechanism..

Hi Drew,
If the fuze has been opened up before the chances are the wax would have already been removed. The wax will be in the 3 small holes on the base covering the 3 small nuts and around the thread of the large retaining ring. I assume that it was put there originally to try and keep water out. Although the wax does not dry hard I always find that a small amount of heat around the large retaining ring using a small flame always helps. Once apart I clean off all of the waxy residue so it does up and comes apart easily thereafter.

If it is quite a clean fuze it will all come apart fairly easily, if it is a fuze that has been under water for the last 40 odd years you will have trouble, the retaining ring will be very difficult to remove but is possible and the 3 small nuts to remove the clock assembly will probably end up breaking up and or just will not unscrew. A lot of these fuzes have been water finds.

Some sort of reasonable tool will help with the removal of the retaining ring although I just use a pair of grips which work fine without damaging the fuze.

Darren