What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Correct markings on a 7.5cm Pzgr.39/42 projectile

peregrinvs

I’ve been slowly working on restoring this projectile. It’s proving rather laborious as it’s a complex shape and I only have hand tools.

I’ve also been trying to pin down what the correct markings are - ideally from a contemporary manual - but without much success. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Mark
AD6EEC76-E79E-4861-9AD6-65856CFAB2F4.jpg

Here is a page from HDv 481/55,
It says:
Projectile color -- black
Driving bands without paint.
1) white color
2) red color
3) black color

Some of the markings are stenciled, some stamped.
You can find threads at bocn refering to restoration of german ammunition that show excellent results.
Bob

Attachments

• HDv 481_55 Anlage 2.jpg
    HDv 481_55 Anlage 2.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I see your problem. When applying polyester resign, do not use layers thicker than 1mm in this case. Using stips of sandpaper appr 750mm long and 30 to 40 mm wide wil give the best result. You place the polyestered projectile in a vive just below the lower driving belt , take both ends of the sandpaper in both hands and place it over the projectile body. Work with long strokes and you'll be able to get the correct roundness back.
And it will often take up to 8 / 10 rounds of applying polyester to get the desired results. If you want to see the result of your work inbetween apply a layer of shop coating, an even colour all over will make all imperfections visable. Good luck!
Regards, DJH

Nearly there. The yellow stuff is filler-primer spray, which I find is a relatively easy way of fine tuning it prior to the final overpaint.
149DB13B-2433-4323-B97A-858A974D6082.jpg

Finished. :tinysmile_grin_t:

Unfortunately I only have a rotted dug case for it. (I have faced the ‘pretty’ side towards the camera - the other side is like a Swiss cheese) Empty KwK42 cases in good condition seem to be almost non-existent.

AACFFEDC-CB61-48D1-9375-F9007C7F3371.jpg479729CB-EC06-4182-9DD3-DDD426822F9D.jpg