What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couple of shells from The Thames

Ringo

anybody able to ID these so I can update my website, please?

026-1.jpg

036.jpg

Thanks!

Richard

http://www.metaldetectingagency.co.uk/

The shot shell is a 12 bore made by Kynoch, Birmingham for sale by Beesley, one of the famous London gunmakers. Beesley had worked for Purdey before setting up on his own and was known as the "inventor to the trade" as he had so many patents to his name. The family business is still in existence today but is based in Little Chalfont these days.

The other case is made by George Roth of Austria in 1886, but to identify it precisely we need to see a side view and to know the case length and diameter. It is probably an 11.2mm Werndl or similar.

REgards
TonyE

Thanks, Tony! Seems expensive to make 12 bore cartridges out of brass?

Side view...will get the measurements in a but:

031.jpg

Hi,

The second case is, I think, likely to be for the 11mm Mannlicher, and was made by George Roth for the Greeks (hence the Greek lettering!)

Roger.

Hiya,

The circular one in the front seems to be a "1 Pr" ;)
Sorry, couldn't resist that joke.
A question (not to hijack your thread): the GR casing looks pretty similar to the 11mm Muratas from Japan; where the Muratas and the one shown in this thread perhaps all based on one and the same base cartridge, and if so, on which one?

Cheers,
Olafo

Hi all,

Dunno why I said Mannlicher in my earlier post (must be either senility or TonyE's influence, I think); this is a case for the 11mm Gras, with which the Greeks were armed for a while.

Re the brass cased 12-gauge; the manufacturers all had a range of cases of various qualities, the lower and middle qualities of paper, but the best cases were always made of brass, usually with a paper lining. Kynoch's "Grouse" type was one of the best, and if a gunmaker ordered a large enough quantity, Kynochs would put the gunmaker's own headstamp on them.

Interesting finds, both of them.

Regards,
Roger.