What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crabtree discharger

psc945

I am after a Crabtree discharger or detailed drawings to reproduce one for a WW2 display.
If anyone can help even to point me in the direction of someone who may have one it would be appreciated.

Paul C

Have been in contact, he has none for sale at this time.
Good pics though.
just need some dimensions for the detail.
Paul C

Hi Chris
Wil get the diamentions of my Crabtree for you . Its doughtful if anyone would lend one as they are to say extremely rare piece of kit
Cheers

Please find attached drawings of the Crabtree discharger
Cheers

Attachments

• Crabtree discharger 001.jpg
    Crabtree discharger 001.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Crabtree discharger 002.jpg
    Crabtree discharger 002.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 115
  • Crabtree discharger 003.jpg
    Crabtree discharger 003.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Crabtree discharger 004.jpg
    Crabtree discharger 004.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 139
Thankyou made a working drawing to produce a discharger.
Need some more dimensions, also the pins are they on springs held in by the two screws.
Paul C

Attachments

• Detailed Drawing Crabtree discharger 1.JPG
    Detailed Drawing Crabtree discharger 1.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 163
Crabtree

Hi Paul
Thats a wonderful drawing , i never was good at Tech drawing , at college in the 70,s learning about wiring houses etc the tech drawing was in the evening , so i dropped that lesson.in favour of the pub .The two pins are fixed , they are in reality two screws, protruding through the underside.
Regards

That figures, the contacts on the fuse are on springs. Understood makes it simpler.
Cheers for that.
Paul C

Crabtree

Hi Paul
The pins on the original crabtree were longer, this was ok for the (15) fuzes , but the Germans produced the (25) fuze , which if the pins were depressed it exploded the bomb.
The crabtree was modified as it still was a useful tool for removing the fuze at a distance.
Regards

Thankyou made a working drawing to produce a discharger.
Need some more dimensions, also the pins are they on springs held in by the two screws.
Paul C

Hello,

I would love to see your completed discharger.
Have you considered making & selling reproductions of the discharger?
...I would be interested if you are.

Thanks,
Brad

Paul,

I have taken some measurements from my Crabtree device. I marked them on your nice drawing so it is now a bit messy. My measurements are in INCHES so you will have to convert. Note the length of the screw and design of the tightening knob. The hole for the screw goes all the way to the central hole of the device and the end of the screw can be seen there when it is in place. You will also note that the two side clamps are recessed in the body .045" and that the top folded edge is longer than the bottom edge. I hope this will help in your project.

Bob

Attachments

• Crabtree Drawing.jpg
    Crabtree Drawing.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Crabtree Apart.jpg
    Crabtree Apart.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Crabtree Base.jpg
    Crabtree Base.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Crabtree Side.jpg
    Crabtree Side.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Crabtree Top.jpg
    Crabtree Top.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 47
I had a question I meant to ask before, but forgot. My Crabtree device has been coated/painted gray. Over the years a lot of it has worn off. I have seen two others and they were unpainted. Mine came from a British RE BD vet who had used it personally, but I never questioned him about the gray color. Were they normally issued unpainted and this is something someone did for some unknown reason or were they issued painted and unpainted?

I had a question I meant to ask before, but forgot. My Crabtree device has been coated/painted gray. Over the years a lot of it has worn off. I have seen two others and they were unpainted. Mine came from a British RE BD vet who had used it personally, but I never questioned him about the gray color. Were they normally issued unpainted and this is something someone did for some unknown reason or were they issued painted and unpainted?

Bob the base of the one of the ones shown on Fuzemans site is painted grey too.
For some reason the link won't copy into this posting but if you google "Bombfuzecollectors crabtree discharger" you'll find it.
Dave.

Last edited:
It looks like one from dugup to me.......I did contact the seller to mention it may be a repro, he said thanks, reduced the price from 75 to 55.........buyer beware!!!
regards Kev

It looks like one from dugup to me.......I did contact the seller to mention it may be a repro, he said thanks, reduced the price from 75 to 55.........buyer beware!!!
regards Kev

Ouch. If it is repro, then I think I may have just been stung.

Nowhere on the listing does it say repro and it says 'WW2'. It does look aged/used?

Any ideas people? Help!