What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curiosity - what is it??

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
This has been gathering dust for some time in my collection. I bought it not knowing what it was and I still don't. It came from a militaria dealer who hadn't a clue either. It may not be military at all, but it was cheap and I love these sort of bits that make you guess. There is only one mark on it and it looks like a broad arrow but I'm not positive about this either.

It obviously screws onto something and the threaded nut rotates freely. The end ring unscrews as shown in the pictures.

Any thoughts or positive ID welcome.

My thoughts were some kind of pull through for a gun - the diameter looks to be 57mm but is this just coincidence?? Of course it could be for drains or something totally obscure????.

So over to you............

regards Kev

HPIM6510.jpgHPIM6511.jpgHPIM6512.jpgHPIM6513.jpgHPIM6514.jpgHPIM6515.jpgHPIM6516.jpg

curiosity ?

Hi Kev,From what I can see of the threads they look just like the threads on the ends of drain rods,the square in the centre of the thread engaged in the next rod when it was screwed in place,the rods could then be twisted clockwise when in use so the threads did not unscrew,the other side looks to be arranged so that different diameter brushes could be fitted,now could this be a gun barrel brush fitting,if a rope was attached to the loop it could be pushed and pulled up and down the bore,having the broad arrow stamp could just mean it was MPBW property,(known as ministry of bricks and water)they took care of building repairs etc on RAF camps,hope this helps,
Regards,Don,

Plumbob perhaps

The only thing I can think that it may be is a "Plumbob" as I have seen a similar one to yours which could have lead shot placed in the holes to make it much heavier when used on a long line that was subject to wind sending the "plumb" off vertical.
The one I saw many years ago also had the dreaded "crows foot" on it and it was still in use.

Although what you would need a really long line for I have no idea:rolleyes:
Nicely made item and thanks for showing us.

Thanks guys for your suggestions so far ........

still none the wiser but interesting to throw it out there and see what everyone else makes of it.

regards Kev