What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cut down shell cases/ashtrays ?

ken68

Hers a few cut downs i picked up , 105mm fd 1979 / with a 1980 coin insert .
AS mortar was used as candle holder took ages to get rid of all the old wax HMS ARETHUSA 1976 79 . CASE DATED 1959.
Cut down 3" naval shell ashtray ? was clean when i got it .

cheers ken

Attachments

• 553056_127686467399027_1358258310_n.jpg
    553056_127686467399027_1358258310_n.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ken

I recall my cousin had one of the Falklands ashtrays - he doesnt smoke & especially not since he was invalided out after the conflict with seared lungs - He told me they all got one & they were semi-official so that everyone got a souvenier - to stop them trying to smuggle captured weapons etc back!

I looked at this thread yesterday and so today took the opportunity to take a few photographs of one that is for sale close to home (with the sellers permission to post pics)

Now this one looks like an officially produced one and is in the same style as the one posted by Ken.

Apologies for the poor photo quality due to poor lighting.

The case is a cut down 4.5 inch, but perhaps another member may be able to identify the gun it was used with (I suspect Naval)

regards Kev

HPIM9123.jpgHPIM9124.jpgHPIM9125.jpgHPIM9126.jpg

I would say naval qf guns these 4.5" guns were replaced by the current mk 8 4.5" gun
They were used as AA as well as land targets , medium naval fire ,
It has a nice engraving on it pro job?
How much do you mind me asking this kind with the falklands on can go for good money and ive spent all mine lol

Cheers ken

Thanks for the info Ken. I have to agree the engraving is exceptional, which is why I think it may be one of those semi-official pieces referred to.
PM sent with regard to the marked price on this one.

regards Kev

PM sent Kev thanks

cheers ken
Thanks for the info Ken. I have to agree the engraving is exceptional, which is why I think it may be one of those semi-official pieces referred to.
PM sent with regard to the marked price on this one.

regards Kev