What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cutaway

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi could some one advise me the best stuff to use as filler as i am doing a quarter cut on a No69 grenade and want to fill the grenade to look like Amatol,would that builders expending foam be the best?
Andy

Last edited:
Andy, I'm sure the EOD guys will give you the best advice but the single time I've seen WW2 grenade filling it was like a light coloured brown sugar, but I've no idea if it was Trytol, Cilferite or Baratol (Mills 36).

John

Thanks John, i know what the colour of Amatol is but was just wondering the best filler to use as i want to keep the weight down.
Andy

No.69 filling

Hi Andy
I used some modelling foam cut to fit on either side of the det tube.
Didn't need to colour it or anything. It's a lot less messy than expanding builders foam!

Good luck with the cut

T42

Attachments

• 15062009363.jpg
    15062009363.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 103
Hi T42, that looks great well done and like you say less messy, and almost the same colour, i have done a quarter cut and its looking good.
Andy

Attachments

• 69 cut.jpg
    69 cut.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Meercats in space! (inert).

Hello Andy,
I've recently used expanding builders foam to make a nosecone for a rocket project. It accepts; Aluminium paint, car body filler, chemical metal, and araldite.
Wear disposable gloves as it's very sticky and expands more than you may expect.
When set it can be shaped with a wood rasp and varying degree's of sanding paper. When finished I intend to fill and paint it. The big advantage is that it will be strong but light, which I think is what you were looking for?
By the way, if this project comes to fruition I may have the first meercat in orbit, his name is Sergai and is a volunteer !
All best,
Guy.

Attachments

• rocket 30a.jpg
    rocket 30a.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 29
  • rocket 33a.jpg
    rocket 33a.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 31
  • rocket 36a.jpg
    rocket 36a.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 32
  • rocket 37a.jpg
    rocket 37a.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 31
  • rocket 45a.jpg
    rocket 45a.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 50
Hi guy, that looks an interesting project i hope sergai knows what he has let him self in for lol, that looks ok that foam i might give it a go.
cheers
Andy

Hi Just finished my No69 i used builders foam for the filler which worked out well i can't bring my self to cut the fuze as its too good, so if anybody has got a broken fuze body they don't want and want to sell it please contacted me.
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• No69 cut.jpg
    No69 cut.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 77