What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Damaged Weapons for film use

sonicninja

Hello everyone,
I am a Foley Engineer in central London which if you didn't know involves the recording of sound effects for TV and Film. I both record SFX and keep our props in good order often replacing props and buying new items.

We work on a lot of primetime tv which requires us to re-record many gun sounds including gun movement in hands, gun grabs and gun pickups from a table which are only a few examples. We rarely record gun magazine clicks, gun cocks or rounds into magazine/chamber as these FX are usually covered by another SFX department.

Anyway, I am looking for some deactivated guns for permanent use in the Foley studio. I thought this was the best place to ask for some direction as I'm finding it hard to find anything online that is within my price range.....which is where this gets difficult.

Basically, I'm a bit of a weapon fan (not an expert in any way) and am looking to get any guns myself as the studio wont supply them. The condition is irrelevant as they only have to sound good. I'm after a magazine loading pistol and a larger rifle such as an AK47.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where I might start? Also, as I am in the Film business where would I stand in terms of the VCR act?

Any help would be great.

Thankyou

Keith

Best advice I could give you is the Local Police.

They would know the ins and out of the law obviously and what you would require to their use, storage, and relevant paperwork. Furthermore, they would also know where you could legally get hold of such items etc.

Hope this helps.

You could buy these sort of weapons at any militaria fair such as Beltring or Detling. For the AK-47 it will need to be an "old spec" model which has not been welded solid. This will cost you probably about 600.

You can get a cheap "magazine loading" (correct term semi-automatic) pistol for about 100. This depends on the type. A cheap unknown pistol will be about this price. For something famous like a Colt .45, Walther P38 or a Luger you are looking at well over 500. However, as you only want to record the sound it would not matter about the type.

The VCR act does not apply to deactivated guns, only to replicas. You can simply just walk up to the seller and buy these guns without any problem. Deactivated guns also have no laws governing owning or storing them (for now) as they are not considered to be firearms. However, possessing one in public without good reason IS illegal, and displaying one in public is even more serious.

If you are working in the Film/tv business why not contact one of the major props suppliers like Baptys or Shelley Armourer Services? The may have some suitable de-acs surplus to requirement at the right price.