What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darts

SG500

Premium Member
Just a picture of a long pointed thing I found on the shelf - next to a dart from a 25mm round (for scale).
Its 49cm long.
I pity the person in the tank with that coming towards them!
Dave.

Attachments

• 20 April 09 008.jpg
    20 April 09 008.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 99
Dave,

Nice comparison photo. The current 120mm M829A3 dart is 924mm long, probably twice the length or more of you 105mm dart!

John

Looks very similar Lou - are they from 120mm rather than 105?? The darts seem a lot thicker than 105's.

Dave.

Yes, a dart for the current 120 U.S. round is 924mm or around 32 inches long!

The grooves around the body of the dart engage the interior bore of the sabot pieces. They look like threads, but in most cases they are grooves. Typically the sabot is cut into 3 or four pieces that circle the dart. The firing gases push the large diameter (full bore) of the sabot. The grooves are just like a buttress thread arranged so that the flat part is on the point side so it pushes the dart forward, but can fall away from centrifugal force and gas pressure once the projo leaves the bore. The forward surface of the sabot is funnel shaped, so it catches the air and opens like a parachute, and the sabot pieces leave the dart. The dart continues on to target. These can't be fired over the heads of troops, as they would get hit by sabot pieces, or from jet aircraft, as the engines would suck in the sabots. Thats why there are a different type of API projos for jet aircraft.

Attachments

• m829-2.jpg
    m829-2.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 41
  • m865-2.jpg
    m865-2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 40
  • m865-3.jpg
    m865-3.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 45
  • sabot_120mm peeloff.jpg
    sabot_120mm peeloff.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 37
  • m829a2-s.jpg
    m829a2-s.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 41
Looks very similar Lou - are they from 120mm rather than 105?? The darts seem a lot thicker than 105's.

Dave.

Well mine was sold to me as a 105 training/practice round.I really dont know alot about them.The main reasons for getting this was,1,it was cheap,and 2,I wanted to locate some sabot peices and put it together for display. I was mistaken however,Ive been looking for 3 years and havent yet been able to find a single set.

Last edited:
Lou,

Is your dart really heavy for its size, or does it seem like it might be aluminum? There are 3 types, aluminum/ steel practice, Tungsten core, and staballoy (depleted uranium). If yours is really heavy, it will have a teardrop shaped piece of tungsten in the middle.

To find sabot pieces, you would need to find a contact at a scrap yard near a firing range or testing ground, since they are aluminum. They get beat up really bad when they leave the dart and hit the ground, so you need to pick through a bunch to find good ones. They are also serial numbered, but three or four should fit together fairly well. The bad thing is, that there are a number of different diameters of darts, with different grooves, so your dart might not fit the sabots you find. Good luck!

Yes mine if definently heavy.Way heavyer than steel.Unfired and has a tracer plug in the base.I figured it was a tungsten round.And it looks better in person than in the picture.Thanks for the scrapper info,Ive actually been trying to communicate with someone in Cali about parts but no luck yet. The round has actually kind of a good luck piece.Every time I make contact with some about sabot parts I end up purchasing some other type of ordnance.I do already have a shell for it too.I figured maybe a nice cutaway.

Very nice cutaways Hazord. Are any of them in your collection?
The dart I have is also heavy like Lou's so presumably its got the Tungsten core you mention.
Thanks for the information.
Dave

The grooves around the body of the dart engage the interior bore of the sabot pieces. They look like threads, but in most cases they are grooves. Typically the sabot is cut into 3 or four pieces that circle the dart. The firing gases push the large diameter (full bore) of the sabot. The grooves are just like a buttress thread arranged so that the flat part is on the point side so it pushes the dart forward, but can fall away from centrifugal force and gas pressure once the projo leaves the bore. The forward surface of the sabot is funnel shaped, so it catches the air and opens like a parachute, and the sabot pieces leave the dart. The dart continues on to target. These can't be fired over the heads of troops, as they would get hit by sabot pieces, or from jet aircraft, as the engines would suck in the sabots. Thats why there are a different type of API projos for jet aircraft.

Well Im glad for this thread.Im going to have to be careful now with sabot parts.Id hate to spend the money and have them not fit. Is there any way to tell what sabot parts go with what penetrater?

Its just as bad when you have the sabot part and no dart.

Dave.

Attachments

• 24 April 09 022.jpg
    24 April 09 022.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 13
Ooooooooh,I didnt know they came in blue.:tinysmile_kiss_t4: I dont know what it is with that color,I love it.I hope I can find a set like that....

Well. since the older sabots were aluminum, as all the photos have shown, they can be anodized in any color, blue for practice or black for AP.

I'm told that the sabots for the newest 120mm APFSDS-T, the really long one, are made from carbon composite, to lower the weight even more, and that would reduce the overhead casualty range also.

The photos I enclosed earlier are off the internet. I will need to take some photos of my stuff in the near future.

Thats some really nice 120 UK APDS stuff in the photos just posted.

John

Last edited:
British 120mm apfsds dart

Attached is a picture of the dart for the British 120mm apfsds. Made out of tungsten and well heavy. Further pictures to follow of service projectile and expt version......when I dig them out from the back of the display.

Dave,

Attachments

• 7 May 09 001.jpg
    7 May 09 001.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 19
105 apfsds

I know its not a dart but thought this picture might be of interest as its all part of APDSFS ammo. With a case its also on my list of bits to be got rid of.
2pr

Attachments

• 105apfsds.jpg
    105apfsds.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 20