What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Date-stamping.

ydnum303

Hi All,

Can anybody tell me when Britain first started to stamp the date of manufacture and/or loading on the bottom of shellcases, please? I am not talking about small-arms ammunition, but from about 1-Pdr upwards.

Thanks in advance,

Roger.

dates

I dont think a time was set from whence onward cases were dated, certainly virtually all WWI were date stamped. Think this came up some while ago in a slightly different form as I seem to remember looking thru my stuff to find the earliest date. 2pr

Earliest date.

Yes, the earliest date I can find on my cases is a "96" (for 1896) on a 6-pdr made by RL, which also has a "I" stamped under it (for Mk.I?). However, 6-pdr Mk. III cases by Kynochs (which I presume are later) have no date stamp.
Some cases have a 4-digit year stamp, plus a full day-month-year stamp (loading date?).
Knowing the military authorities, there must have been an instruction issued at some point that all cases, whether made by contractors or the Government, should have the date stamped on, but when did this occur?
Does anyone have any British cases with dates earlier than 1896?
Roger.

dates

Had a quick look thru my few cases and came up with 1in mg as 1883 by R/I\L. and 91 on a 6pr Nordenfelt also by RL (also a German case XI 91). 2pr

No stampings for a reason

Just as an aside here do not be confused by unstamped cases as a majority of experimental cases in the smaller calibres 57mm and smaller were frequently not stamped with any markings at all-well why tell everyone what it is?