What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daves butterfly bomb restoration.

SG500

Premium Member
If anyone has a vague interest in butterfly bombs I recommend you try a full restoration of one from relic parts, it just teaches you so much about these little things.

About a year ago I got several parts for a butterfly bomb that looked like they'd been shot or blow up, they really were in rubbish condition.

A few months on and some more parts were obtained from Phil and Waff and I started work.

Wings are by far the most difficult part to find and restore.
At the risk of boring you folks they are made up of:
2 wings
2 end paddles
4 springs
4 metal rods that hold on the wings and end paddles
6 thick washer type things that fit on where the end of the wings/paddles attach to the bit of metal on top
1 bit of metal on top that all the wings etc. fix onto.
How complicated is that!! A total of 19 different parts plus the 2 bits that are on the end of each of the 2 wings to enable a clip to be attached!!

Back to the restoration. The whole lot got dipped in Halfords de rusting solution, wonderful stuff! Everything has to be degreased first but they it gets it all back to bare metal.

The hinge end of the wings had to be rebuilt because they had been ripped off and would not fix correctly. This was done by cutting some thin metal from a tin can and gluing it on the inside of the wings. LOTS of filler/glue was used for this.

One of the end paddles was completely folded up on itself so it got put in a vice, straightened out and then some filler applied.

Both of the paddles I used had a bit missing out of the edge so this was filled and sanded.

Once sanded etc. paddles and wings were painted with lots of yellow hammerite.

Springs were a big problem that I never did solve entirely. Large paper clips make excellent springs and are easy to form quite accurately, the problem being that they are not very springy..........so the final restored butterfly bomb now has permanently open wings - they will fold but then the springs wouldn't spring back so it wouldn't display well.

The metal rods that hold the wings/paddles/springs in place are nails and the ends are slightly split to hold the wings in place.

The body was easy - sanded plus hammerite with some careful dremmel work to clean out the fuze pocket (it wouldn't accept a fuze at first due to the amount of rust where the fuze turns).

So what I started off with was a pile of relic material.
Having read lots on the forum and had some great help/advice/parts from Waff and Phil I've ended up with something that displays well. Its not perfect but looks OK hanging up in the display......but the most important thing for me was what I learnt about them, having fiddled about with small springs and things for several months on and off I have quite a good knowledge of how these things work now.

Attached are some photos of how it all started.

Dave.

Attachments

• Misc 09 photos off old camera 023.jpg
    Misc 09 photos off old camera 023.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 100
It then got taken to bits

Attachments

• Misc 09 photos off old camera 030.jpg
    Misc 09 photos off old camera 030.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 82
Some of the parts were very rusty so got treated.

Attachments

• Misc 2009 photos off camera Oct 09 526.jpg
    Misc 2009 photos off camera Oct 09 526.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Misc 2009 photos off camera Oct 09 549.jpg
    Misc 2009 photos off camera Oct 09 549.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 53
Springs got made and parts painted.

Attachments

• Butterfly restoration 001.jpg
    Butterfly restoration 001.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 14 Oct 09 020.jpg
    14 Oct 09 020.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Butterfly restoration 002.jpg
    Butterfly restoration 002.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Butterfly restoration 003.jpg
    Butterfly restoration 003.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 37
It all got put together.

Attachments

• Butterfly restoration 004.jpg
    Butterfly restoration 004.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Butterfly restoration 007.jpg
    Butterfly restoration 007.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Butterfly restoration 008.jpg
    Butterfly restoration 008.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Butterfly restoration 009.jpg
    Butterfly restoration 009.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Butterfly restoration 010.jpg
    Butterfly restoration 010.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 51
Now its flying.......over part of the collection.

Attachments

• Butterfly restoration 015.jpg
    Butterfly restoration 015.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Butterfly restoration 013.jpg
    Butterfly restoration 013.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Butterfly restoration 014.jpg
    Butterfly restoration 014.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 49
Dave,

Good result. For spring material try 'piano wire' available from most good aero-model shops. If you can't get any, let me know.

Not going over to the dark-side are you?

Regards

Tim

Another excellent resto-write up!
I see the drouges are eraly manufacture judging by the 'banana' shaped bracket on the paddle.
Believe me my friend,by doing up a unit this way then you will save an awful lot of cash.
Well done,it looks super and should grace any collection. :)

best

waff

Dave,

Good result. For spring material try 'piano wire' available from most good aero-model shops. If you can't get any, let me know.

Not going over to the dark-side are you?

Regards

Tim

Thanks Tim, I'll try and find some piano wire.
As for going over to the dark side, I've been fairly brutal over the last few months and got rid of most of the stuff in the collection that isn't "shell case" related but do have a real weakness for butterfly bombs so yes I suppose you could say yes some of the time.
Dave.

Good show Dave

Great job Dave, I just really appreciate the step by step stuff. You have truly made a silk purse from a sows ear!! Dano

Another excellent resto-write up!
I see the drouges are eraly manufacture judging by the 'banana' shaped bracket on the paddle.
Believe me my friend,by doing up a unit this way then you will save an awful lot of cash.
Well done,it looks super and should grace any collection. :)

best

waff

Thanks Paul, yes this one did come in quite cheap.
Dave.

Well Done Dave
From what you had to start with to the finished object is a transformation:tinysmile_fatgrin_t Yet another SD2 lives again

Best phil

Thanks Phil, wouldn't have stood a chance with this one if it hadn't been for all your photos & advice on the forum.
Dave.

Great job Dave, I just really appreciate the step by step stuff. You have truly made a silk purse from a sows ear!! Dano

Thanks Dano, I just wish I'd taken more photos of the hinge restoration phase - it really did look like a no hoper with bits of metal poking out of the filler but some work with the sand paper sorted that out.
Dave.

Great job Dave

Can see there has been an awful lot of work put in to get to your finished bomb, well done Dave. As you said, you have to take them to pieces to really appreciate them. There is more to them than meets the eye. Enjoyed seeing the step by step photos too, thanks for an excellent thread
regards
Kev

Can see there has been an awful lot of work put in to get to your finished bomb, well done Dave. As you said, you have to take them to pieces to really appreciate them. There is more to them than meets the eye. Enjoyed seeing the step by step photos too, thanks for an excellent thread
regards
Kev

Thanks Kev, yes it was a case of 10 minutes a night...............for about a month!!
Dave