What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Defused AT hand grenade BRK M79

VuleM

Defused yugo-made AT hand grenade BRK M79

Attachments

• brk1.jpg
    brk1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 103
  • brk2.jpg
    brk2.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 97
  • brk4.jpg
    brk4.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 97
Great set of photos. I have never seen the blue or dark green bodies on this grenade. Any significance to them?

They are not dark blue,they are black painted.They just look as blue because of the contrast during making photo.Most of BRK M79s made in the year 1990 were black painted with cap of the body and handle painted in standard yugoslavian grey-drab or in dark olive-drab colour.I think that the reason for that was deficiency of standard yugoslavian grey-drab paint in depot of the factory "Slavko Rodić" in Bugojno in former yugoslavian republic Bosnia and Herzegovina.You see,the factory "Chromos" located in Zagreb,the capital of former yugoslavian republic Croatia was the main producer and supplier of standard yugoslavian grey-drab paint.The war in Croatia started at the end of 1990,and the war in Bosnia started two years after.So in 1990 Chromos stopped to supply yugoslavian military factories with that paint.At that time the situation in Croatia was taut,and in Bosnia it didn't.So the factory "Slavko Rodić" which was producing BRK M79s probably used black and other localy made shades of olive-drab colour in shortage of standard yugoslavian army grey-olive paint produced in Croatian "Chromos".
I hope that I helped:neutral:

Thanks for all the detailed information. Have seen black ones and didn't stop to think that it might be a photo problem. Great information!!

I did a tour in Bosnia back in 95, never even seen a M79 while I was there. I wanted one so I could inert it and have it as part of the collection