What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

delay timer, VSU - 24C

BMG50

Premium Member
Anyone have any info on this delay fuze, instuctions for use etc.

You mean the training version (the "V" in the designation) or the life version "SU-24Ch"? (observe transcription)

Last edited:
The SU-10 SU-24 and VSU-24 are mechanical clockwork devices with a selectable delay time ranging from 15 minutes to 10 hours with the SU models and the VSU model with a 15 minute to 26 hour selectable delay. Its reported that the VSU-24 has either a mechanical clockwork mechanism or a electrical mechanism, the one i have is a mechanical clockwork mechanism, so i question the information. This device can be used with a variety of devices including mines.

Hello

There does not exist electric version SU-24.
It is quite simply about an adapter with two metalstuds, isolated, with two electric wires.
To complete with a battery and an electric detonator.
At the wanted moment, it's the striker which will come in contact with the two studs and will thus close the contact.
Herewith photographs of the SU-24 in electric mode.

Sans titre-2.jpg

Last edited:
That's what i have in the picture. I didn't realize that the striker closed two contacts to complete a circuit, i actually thought it set off a percussion cap, but looking at the spring strength it could do both. What is the difference between the VSU training version and the SU type, as the VSU looks capable of doing the same job. Is this quite a common devise or is this a rare piece?

That's what i have in the picture. I didn't realize that the striker closed two contacts to complete a circuit, i actually thought it set off a percussion cap, but looking at the spring strength it could do both. What is the difference between the VSU training version and the SU type, as the VSU looks capable of doing the same job. Is this quite a common devise or is this a rare piece?

I didn`t hear about fuze VSU too. In Yugo V means training time fuze - Vežbovni Satni Upaljač. I think it`s just practice VS and nothing more. VSU should have some mechanism, which help rearm it for useing again, like any other Yugo practice fuze.

The system of a "circuit closer/percussion" is also used in Russian time fuzes and is a good idea I think. Yes, tat was my question above as for what would be the reason to have 2 different designations. they answer may be as simple as that (just my thought): other fuzes do exist in such configurations as well and have tiny spotting charges (the dets with yellow bands). So it might be that this one exists as such a version just for the sake of keeping the system and nomenclature straight since the life version comes packed with a life det and this can't be done for practice purposes later on (as we know recruits tend to be unexperienced - and some sheer stupid) so a separately marked and packed practice version became neccessary. Of course also a potential reuse may matter as Ivashkin said and here some modification might he been applied for recocking/rewinding the whole thing. As said just my thought basing on some other practice items I have seen elsewhere (which were identical to life ones except for the paint job and the missing det).

Pictures of my VSU-24. Wondering why its called a VSU-24 when its has 26 hours on the clock?

Attachments

• VSU-242.JPG
    VSU-242.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 35
  • VSU-246.JPG
    VSU-246.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 34