What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Demolition items, General wade?

magpie

Could anyone please identify the it items in the picture that will be published in militaria magazine in an article centered on but not exclusively on 591 para Sqn RE by Mike Jackson who is keen to get a good description of the items, is the half round tin in the para drop container a general wade and can anyone identify what's behind it and the camoflet box contents.
Mike is a new member here but doesn't seem to be able to post anything yet.

Thanks Andy :)591 Para Sqn RE_Equipment.01.jpg591 Para Sqn RE_Equipment.02.jpg

Last edited:
Ref Mike i have authorised his membership a couple of hours ago so he should be able to post now.if your in contact with him let him know,he should also have an automated email letting him know with some pointers on how to use the site..
Regards
Allan

Thanks for your replies so far, i thought it was round at first but if you loo carefully it's only half round and as said no cut out.

Andy :)

You can make out by the large pack, CE primer tubes, 2 civilian boxes of No 6 or 8 detonators, a 49ft tin of Bickford’s Safety Fuse, rolls of khaki tape and a tin of booby trap switches. No idea what the contraption is in the drop canister!

TimG;[... said:
As for the Camouflet Set - Tube, driving, (2 inch, 8' long) (I don't know the dimensions for the "Camouflet Set, Light")

TimG
Tim,

The Camouflet Set Light 2 1/4-in Mk II had a 5 ft tube x 2.25-in diam.

You can make out by the large pack, CE primer tubes, 2 civilian boxes of No 6 or 8 detonators, a 49ft tin of Bickford’s Safety Fuse, rolls of khaki tape and a tin of booby trap switches. No idea what the contraption is in the drop canister!

Many thanks. In the canister - far end - there seems to be a very complex item which (illogically) reminded me of a form of light weight generator. But the exp[osed semi-circular items must be a demolition charge of some sort? But I was a Gunner, not a Sapper, sop what would I know? Mike

Related to all the above are the following images. My co-author for the article on 591 Para Sqn RE is seeking the correct terminology for the items illustrated and , if possible, a comment on the markings on the ATK Mines (?) in the pannier and markings on the outside of the pannier(s)591.10 Pannier.01.jpg591.15_AT Mines.jpg591.4a_Pince Sertir.01.jpg591.5a_Pince avec Allumeur.01.jpg591.7c_Detonators & box.01.jpg. Format will improve as I get used to the site. Mike

Mike,

I wondered if the contraption in the container was an attachment for the Camouflet Set to mechanise the task. Perhaps an Engineer could dismiss the idea.

There looks to be a Mark VII Exploder just partially in view near Monty's boot.

The time pencils were known at this time as Switch, No 10, Time Pencil, Mark II. The one in the foreground is US manufacture and the other is British made.

Hello,

I think the item in the droppingcontainer is maybe a Power Earth Auger, to drill a hole in the ground for the pipe charge of the camouflet set. Maybe a special Abn version.

Gr. Antoon

Tim,
That's excellent. Many thanks. I've also been told that Warsop Drills also feature in the 6 AB Div (Engr) Op Order for D Day.
Mike

I have studied this picture myself. In the drop container is the Warsop gas operated rock drill as described above In Canada we still used one called a Ponjar. Behind it is the Camoflet Set Lite for cratering roads and abutments. Behind that is Demolitions supplies Cordex rolls, safety fuse tins, a Exploder Mk VII* (with extended bottom section). Roll of signals wire for electric detonation, the large packs would contain explosive chgs CE/TNT, P.E. No. 2 or 808 plastic, rolls of friction tape, hemp twin, there would be No. 27 detonators and obviously No. 33 electric detonators (as there is a blasting machine in the pic), probably a tin of Igniters percussion, a tin of Compound sealing, tin of fuse sealing tubes, Igniters striking and striking boards and crimpers . These items are the standard issue to RE field units. I cannot identify all these items in the picture but many of them and they would have needed all of them for a demolition job. There is a similar picture of the RE Para display with the King, Queen and Princess Elisabeth.

The Tube Driving 2" x 8' long is part of the Camouflet Set Mk 1.
Everything in that set is contained in a Box Wood No 1 which is 3'6" x 1' 3.5" x 1' 3.5".
If this is not specific to para use I could provide details of the contents if required.
Obviously the one thing not contained in the box is the tube.
This set was in general engineer use at mid-1942.

I've used the big monster That's why Canadian Engineers are called "Thumper Heads". Here is a picture I found of the Camoflet set light and an other of the Warsop gas rock drill.KING%20AND%20QUEEN.jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpg