What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Depth Charge Launchers !

Gspragge

Premium Member
Did a deal for a pair of these, appear to be book ends, though they are reported
not to work well as such. (they slide, so need something on the bottom.)
Very well made, I guess ww2 vintage. The Charge is solid brass
so they have weight. I suppose a ww1 example would look the same, but these look
newer to me. Seems I'm having a run of the decorative stuff lately !

Attachments

• depth charge 003.jpg
    depth charge 003.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 81
  • depth charge 002.jpg
    depth charge 002.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 76
  • depth charge 001.jpg
    depth charge 001.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 69
Very cool.

And a mousepad, trimmed to fit and glued to the bottom, would go a long way in holding them in place.

Good idea,

I see some launchers from ww2 have a different shape and are side loaded, these have a cylinder on top. Is there any difference between ww1 & ww2 launchers. I presume ww1 launchers were still in service in ww2. While I think these book ends were made in ww2 era, I wonder if it is a ww1 design ?

These appear to replicate the Y-gun type launcher. I'd lean towards the WW2 era, but I really have no clue. Neither ship I was on had mines as ASROC was the primary ASW weapon. I will be digging around now, looking for details, and will report any pertinent findings.

Rick

They seem to copy this ww1 K gun, though I'm sure used in ww2 also and I rather think they were made in the latter time. I had to redo a repair that used a modern screw and epoxy to hold one of the support trays on, other wise a cleaning to get rid of the dried polish is all. So far not sliding but I have rather stable books of dubious poetry involved~

Attachments

• IMG_0002 2.jpg
    IMG_0002 2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 20
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 15
  • depth_charge.jpg
    depth_charge.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 15