What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Detonators No. 36 M Grenades Mark V

Fragman

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Hi, I picked this tin up recently. It is unusual in it's completeness. Enjoy

Attachments

• No 36 det tin closed_small.jpg
    No 36 det tin closed_small.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 91
  • No 36 det tin_lid off_small.jpg
    No 36 det tin_lid off_small.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 95
  • No 36 M Det tin open_small.jpg
    No 36 M Det tin open_small.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 118
Nice one bud,
do you have any dates on it? I thought that they were supposed to be all metal after 1916. I have the remains of a det tin [and the box] found on Somme that had no wooden inserts and was totally made of metal, and it had the correct numbers 124 on the bottom.
I mean that the drilled bits in the wood were supposed to be made from drilled metal into which the dets slotted.

Andy
Of course

Hi Andy,

Typically the WW2 det tins you find over here are drill tins and all have wooden inserts. This is the only tin I have for live dets, so can't say if it is typical or not (maybe some other Kiwi's can help). The tin was filled by ICIANZ and assembled by ME in May 1942. The based is stamped " V No I24" and then a C over 2 P's in a triangle. The person I got the tin off also had the grenade box that went with it. Unfortunately another collector got that. The Mills box I have is dated for a det tin that was assembled by ME June 1942, so it's close enough for the time being. Glad you found it of interest. Cheers Colin

Hi Colin,
a nice tin, i am sorry as i am sure you are not to have got the box, however i am envious that you have got a WW2 box, i only have a repro one for that period.
The WW1 one i have is my 'best bit of kit'that i have, i hope i dont wear it out each morning, touching it as i go downstairs.
I have looked at Spotters link, and was rather suprised that my det tin was all metal, considering Millsbombers site implied later tins were all metal. My tin, and the box in which it was in was dug out of the ground last year and contained grens dated October 1916.
I think that you are are very lucky to come across such rare items and i am envious. Look after them, i am sure you will.

Best wishes

Andy

Hi Andy,

Drop me a PM (or email if you still have my address) about the box's, I may be able to help. I sent one to Dave about a year ago. I thought it was too expensive to post, but he was very happy with it. Most of the ones that turn up over here are made by the same company (Ford Motor Company) and date from around 1942. The "story" I was told is that chap took quite a few home from an army shoot back in the 40's to make roosting boxes for his chickens out of them. Being a typical Kiwi (or should I say bloke in general):bigsmile: that never happened and 60 years latter they were found still sitting in his shed. I've no idea if this is true or not, but it would explain why one manufacturers boxes are more common than others over here.

I'll post a photo of my No36 box shortly.

Cheers Colin

Hi Andy, Here's the Mills box I brought the tin for (better than the lidless FMC drill det tin in the photo).

For obvious reasons we don't get a lot of dug up items over here, so I'd be very interested to see your box from the Somme.

Cheers
Colin

Attachments

• NZ made mills FMC small.jpg
    NZ made mills FMC small.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 101
Hi Colin,
i will pm you shortly, however, if you look under the section 'Members Collections', i think on page 3, dated 7th July you will see some pictures of my Mills box under WW1 Mills Grenade Box.
Did you know that William Mills actually designed the box as well as the gren?

Andy

KiwiColin, I see that your box is dated Sept 42, filled with Lot 958. By 1 Oct 42, they were up to Lot 983!

Attachments

• IMG_4335.JPG
    IMG_4335.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4336.JPG
    IMG_4336.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4337.JPG
    IMG_4337.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 38
Hi, Cool box, thanks for adding the photo. By "Lot 968", I take it you mean "Lot 468" (I hope its not tears from yesterdays cricket thats blurring your vision:xd:). From the examples Ive got it looks like the lot numbers in September ranged from 458 to 468. With yours being numbered 483 and dated October, they were obviously pumping them out. From memory we made about 6 million during WW2. Ill try and get some photos of other boxes for comparison. Come on Kiwis I know theres a lot of Ford Mills boxes out there, lets see some photos. I hope youre managing keep out of the heat. Im cooking over here, and its only in the 30s. When I hear about you guys with temperatures well into the 40s, I feel like such a whimp:sad:. Cheers Colin

Attachments

• 1 box.jpg
    1 box.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 1 box open.jpg
    1 box open.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 49
Here’s another Ford box from July with lot number 343. Anybody know how many grenades to a lot?

Attachments

• 1 box 4 bocn.jpg
    1 box 4 bocn.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 32
Hi, Cool box, thanks for adding the photo. By "Lot 968", I take it you mean "Lot 468". From the examples Ive got it looks like the lot numbers in September ranged from 458 to 468. With yours being numbered 483 and dated October, they were obviously pumping them out. From memory we made about 6 million during WW2. Ill try and get some photos of other boxes for comparison. Come on Kiwis I know theres a lot of Ford Mills boxes out there, lets see some photos. Cheers Colin
Jeez! what thumbs did I use to write those numbers?

I have about 30 of these boxes, all dated Sept to Nov 42. Don't ask me to get them down to check Lot Nos!

Attachments

• FMC boxes.jpg
    FMC boxes.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 56
30 Boxes, now that's just greedy!!!:tinysmile_shy_t: Did you source them from Aussie or NZ?

Cheers
Colin

LOL didnt know Aladin shifted to Australia....great selection of bits there!
Regards
Andrew MG34NZ