What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Difference in AZ23 & AZ 23/28

gwing83

Could someone please tell me the difference between the German AZ23 & the AZ 23/28 fuzes and what shells they went on. I recently picked up a Flak 41 and it has the AZ23 on it. Want to make sure it is the correct fuse.

thanks,
Mike:eek:oh:

The Az23 was used on low velocity shells like field guns and howitzers. The AZ23/28 was used on high speed shells like the 7,5cm, the 8,8cm and 10,5 cm flak and tank guns. In fact the only difference between the fuzes was the spring surrounding the centrifugal safety weights which keep the firing pin and the firing cap housing apart in rest. The circular leaf spring with the AZ 23/28 was stiffer than the spring in the AZ23. On a Flak 41 shell a Az23/28 would be used, as a AZ23 would arm in the barrrel, so too soon
Regards DJH

Last edited:
Thanks DJH, I will have to try to find an AZ23/28. Can't find much good WW2 items here in the states anymore.

Mike