What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIME Munition(s)...

V40

My apologies to everyone of you. I just didn't no where to put this topic, so here it goes. I have been made curious by images out of Israel on this particular type of munition/ordnance. It seems that Israel is the only present country using this type of submuntion? The USA I heard is just a little behind in their developement of the same (sub)munition. I know what DIME stands for and was reading about it on some web sites (5-8 websites in fact) that compare it to a "Mini-Nuke", The "carcenogenic bomb", etc., etc.

So is there anybody here who can help me with more information on it or have first hand expeirence on this new type of weapon? Not one of the websites I chose showed a picture of this weapon? :tinysmile_angry_t:

don't have any Irseal items, but the uS has the GBU 39, which is close but not the same materials. I've been looking for a photo of those subs for a long time myself

DIME isn't a type of weapon- it's a type of explosive. Dense Inert Metallized Explosive. It's either RDX or HMX mixed with small particles of tungsten. The density of the metal was hoped to increase the density- and therefore the power of the explosive, and at the same time, increase the impact of the weapon for bunker busting, etc. It was used in small diameter bomb type munitions with no frag casings, in order to make "limited lethality footprint" weapons (Ie- drop a bomb on someone, but not hurt the next door neighbor). The Israelis are believed to have used it in palestine- unusual wounding patterns from the "micro-frag" tungsten, was quickly followed by exotic types of cancer, that only comes with tungsten exposure. Of course- no confirmation of the weapon/HE's use in palestine has come out.

E tech is correct DIME is an energetic, it's finding the weapon system it is used in that is the problem - the Israelis system seems to, be used as an anti personnel, which wuold make that weapon on SOB when it fires. The picture sI have seen of its effects on the ground look like a thermite burning, in the air it looks like a directions (forward ejection) type projectile as the "items" when the carrier functions appear to be aimed down ward, where a rear ejection munition would be just the opposite

Found this Youtube vid www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWA6M48QfhU the name indicates Soviet rocket from BM-21 launcher. I looked up this rocket, it does not appear to be a nose ejection as the photo seems to indicate. The angle of the items (already ignited, doubt if they are tracers) is at an angle. The rocket listed does not appear to be an ejection type, rather a central tube like the MLRS (please correct me if I am wrong). And if it were a projectile given the angle it would fly, the munitons ejected would appear to be more upward or horizontal. Plus I can not find any ICMs that are burning as they come down, except for a 155mm WP ejection projectile. Thoughts?

You've been scammed Mike. It's not a real video, it is a glorified cartoon, typical of video games. Play a few and they get easier to recognize. Look closely at the weapon and the hand holding it.

The burning ones you mention from a 155mm are not subs, they are the felt wedges soaked with dilute WP. The newer 155mm WP ejects a canister which has a det-cord type burster - the wedges ignite on the way down after the canister pops. Manufactured/dispensed in this way you get a better pattern and longer burn with your smoke.

you're right I was focusing on the air show and not the gun. Lesson learned - . As for the WP I miss spoke I know they aren't actualy subs, but the right word escaped me. But that;s a neat video, gotta remove it from my folder know. Once again -thanks Jeff