What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Director No. 5

Spaceman

I've just acquired a Director No. 5 in very good condition that included both the tripod and the carrying box. As it stands, the Director will fit on to the tripod but there is no way of levelling it except via the tripod legs although this configuration appears to be inline with the picture in the 'Handbook of Artillery Instruments 1914'.

However, I have seen pictures of the Director No. 5 with a 3-legged levelling device fitted between the instrument and the tripod. I assume this is possibly a later configuration and it looks as though the levelling screws may act against the top of the tripod legs requiring a slightly different tripod/stand to the one I have.

I would welcome any information that could be provided on this later version of the Director No. 5 and its stand.