What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disassembly of Composite PAK 36 3.7 cm Shell Casing

M8owner

I just found a contact in Russia who shipped me a couple of nice German 37mm shell casings. Theoretically, they were dug up at Lennigrad (St. Petersberg). One is a composite steel base with brass upper portion. It is still all shiny inside, so it was never fired. My contact probably chucked the projectile in a river as he says the Russian customs will not allow projectiles to ship in the mail.

I have the correct pin wrench to hold onto the base. There is a threaded brass locking ring on the inside that holds the two pieces together. I made a tool to go into the inside and mate with the holes in the locking ring - special pin wrench. My first attempt broke my special pin wrench. It looks like the locking ring on the inside might have been staked or pinned to the bottom steel base stub.

My question is, "Is there anything besides torque holding the locking ring in place?"

It is soaking in oil right now waiting my next attempt. Thank you for your help and advice.

If it a unfired case then i am thinking it has an unfired primer ?
Best Weasel.

german_37mm_2_thumb.jpg
german_37mm_thumb.jpg
Primer is not live. My first use of on site image host. I might not be doing it right.

I don't think I have ever heard about anyone taking the steel base off the 2 part cases. Can I ask why you want to take it apart please?

PC

German 37mm 2.jpgGerman 37mm.jpgIncredibly simple answer: It is what makes me happy. I just don't think any item is in perfect condition unless it can be taken apart. Playing with them just gives me great joy. Just one of my many faults. Ask my wife, she will give you the complete list. Another example of not being able to leave well enough alone is when I just had to remove my nice German 50mm arrowhead AP round from the KWK 36 shell casing it was crimped into - now I can take the whole thing apart and put it back into the shell casing in the right position whenever I desire.

I think I figured out how to do the photos now.

M8owner, for whatever reason I ended up with the base of one of these in the junk box. Why anyone would cut off the top of the case leaving just the base is beyond me, anyway, my guess is you've not taken out the tiny screw that secures the base. See at 6 o clock in the attached photo.
If you're desperate to take one of these to bits then you're welcome to have this one, send me a PM with your address and I'll post it to you, it'd be better than you risking damaging your case.
Dave.

IMG_7476.jpg

Last edited:
Being able to take apart a 5cm Pzgr 40 shell without damaging it would require a bit of skill so it sounds like you know what you are doing. The 3.7cm case may not have been designed to come apart.

M8owner, for whatever reason I ended up with the base of one of these in the junk box. Why anyone would cut off the top of the case leaving just the base is beyond me, anyway, my guess is you've not taken out the tiny screw that secures the base. See at 6 o clock in the attached photo.
If you're desperate to take one of these to bits then you're welcome to have this one, send me a PM with your address and I'll post it to you, it'd be better than you risking damaging your case.
Dave.

View attachment 93231

Well I'll be damned Dave I never knew that was there. Every day's a learning curve!

D

Thank you for the kind offer Dave, but you told me exactly what I needed to know. I could see the screw but was not certain if it was a pin or a screw. That is why I decided to stop and ask for help before continuing. If I can not get it out easily, then I will go no further in trying to take it apart. However, if it comes out, I will rebuild my pin wrench and try again.

I might also mention that I have my own machine shop at home, so I can make all the tools and fixtures that I need to do this work. I have made several special tools to get out primers and take fuzes apart. I also make the reloading dies for US 37mm cannons, reload this ammunition and shoot those guns for fun. My exploits are posted on Youtube - search using "Texas Hill Country Shoot and Scoot". There are a total of four videos showing 37mm shooting with the M3 towed gun, M8 armored car, and a 37mm reloading class. I was a US Army tank officer, trained in ordnance by the US government, and a employed as a mechanical engineer.

The screw came out with great ease (Thanks Dave!) However, round two still went to the composite casing. I will rebuild the custom pin wrench for a third time and try it again tomorrow. I can still ratchet it up two more levels before I give up.

Pak 36 composite disassembly.jpgPak 36 composite disassembly 2.jpg

Now I am happy. Third try was the charm, and it was not too difficult - a little oil, a little heat. I still had one trick left - construct a professional grade special pin wrench. What you see is the quick and cheap version of the tool, but it worked. The locking ring turns out to be plated steel. There are even letters and numbers stamped into the bottom of the brass shell.

Impressive work, now you're happy :)
Is it left hand or right hand thread? I may just have a go at the base I have.
Dave.

Excellent work and very good on a successful project. It is very interesting to see the different parts of the case and all the work required to construct them.

PC