What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do not fly.

christhurston

Premium Member
Hi All,
In recent weeks I bought half a dozen inert WWI grenades from a collector in the West Country,and a fortnight after the sender had posted them,Ist Class Recorded,they still had not arrived.
We were both thinking that they had gone astray,but they finally turned up on the afternoon of the 15th day.The package had not been opened but two dayglo red labels were stuck on it.
These labels stated DO NOT FLY,This package contains items that must not go by air!!!! Neither the sender,nor I, have ever seen this before,X rays on UK domestic mail,it seems,is this normal practice,I wonder???
Regards Chris.

Last edited:
Royal Mail use a number of screening systems on bulk mail at various locations. Additionally there may be intelligence driven or profile based screening of individual mail items. RM have had a few scares over recent years some of which were as a result of badly packaged or labelled inert ordnance items.

They've been x-rayed, but the decision on if an item can go by air or not is made by the CAA, not Royal Mail.

I'm surprised the parcel wasn't opened and the contents examined or destroyed!

Cheers,
Andy

I live in Belfast and most stuff that I buy comes from the mainland UK. Its quite common to have those labels on my deliveries since almost all post for here is flown in. Sometimes there is a hand written comment "inspected by xx" suggesting that someone must take a closer look before forwarding the item.

Fred

It simply amazes me that someone would slap a do not fly sticker on a package, yet still deliver it ground. I don't get the reasoning. If they don't want it to fly then obiously something is suspect yet it is okay to go surface???. Glad it got there but it just puzzles me..Dan

A year ago I bought a rather nice 1917 Mills 23 MK III body from the Republic of Ireland and it came with a similar label. It must be quite common there. Sensible too.

John

Last edited:
Hi All,
I am pleased to hear that these Do Not Fly labels on packages are not uncommon,I would hate to think that I was being singled out for special attention.I do,however,have several more inert grenades in transit that have not arrived when expected,I'm starting to feel a bit paranoid!!!!
Regards Chris.

Hi had a parcel from UK Militaria this week same Label do not fly.
This was the first one i have had in all my years collecting.