What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anybody recognize the primer in this German made 17 cm shell case?

Hoeksel

Unfortunately I only have this bad quality image. It is supposedly a 17 cm shell case. I think the primer is 33 mm, the typical size for German large shell cases. The primer has a British look, and unfortunately the text on the primer is unreadable.

Does anybody recognize this primer style and what country used it?

Attachments

• 431 head stamp with GB primer detail.jpg
    431 head stamp with GB primer detail.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 431 head stamp with GB primer.jpg
    431 head stamp with GB primer.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 431 shell case 170x960R220.jpg
    431 shell case 170x960R220.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 30
I found the source for these images.

The auction states the primer is indeed British, marked "V.A.D Mk E*" which in my opinion is export, like the case. The shell case has typical cuts at the mouth, and shouts British navy while German made. The case measures 170x960R220, not dimensions I know. But often these auction measurements are pretty bad.....

A 6 inch 47 cal measures 170 mm at the mouth (170x972R199), but those guns are dating from just before WW2 while this case is from 1913.
A 17 cm SK C/95 drill case comes closest, measuring 170x955R203 but I do not know if the cuts at the mouth are original for a 17 cm drill case.

Looking at the third picture it looks like the case has been joined in the middle. Perhaps an illusion, but to me it doesn't seem right.

VAD - Is Vickers Armstrong, Dartford. The amalgamation occurred in 1927, 14 years after the case was manufactured. I suspect it was a primer less case and someone knew or discovered, that some British primers fit some German cases.

TimG

Possibly it is made out of 2 parts, but that is a lot of work matching a German 17 cm with a British 6 inch.....and they did not ask a big price.

The case, in my opinion, has a remarkable export style head stamp. I do not think 431 is a lot number, due to the position. Also the year is purposely off center related to the word Karlsruhe.

I guess we will have to guess a lot . Or find the current owner of this case.