What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone know what this is?

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Can anyone help in the identification of this object?
I found it for sale while trawling through the net. It is described as an 'unknown object, possibly fuze setter'. It isn't marked in any way and comes in a leather case. It has a keyhole in the side and it is approximately 3 inch in diameter.
Here are some photos I was sent.
Of course it may not be military at all, all suggestions welcome.
regards
Kev

M5089_Early_British_clockwork_device.jpgSANY0308.jpgSANY0310.jpgSANY0311.jpgSANY0312.jpg

looks like a navigation device from a ship maybe.??

Thanks 18 pounder,
think you may be onto something there?!! I know I have seen this somewhere before, but can't for the life of me think where. I remember the key in the side is quite significant. It does have that compass/navigation feel about it though.

open to more suggestions from anyone

regards Kev

yours looks like something like this but maybe parts missing?

they are very old pocket sextants used for navigation.

and some are very valuble too!!
i think you should get it valued mate,at least take it to an auctioneirs for advice...you never know.

regards
18pounder

Attachments

• pocket.jpg
    pocket.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 18
  • sextant.jpg
    sextant.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
i think the only missing part is the card or paper disc that recorded the time the watchman clocked in at various locations and times on his rounds,these would have been handed in to prove he had been doing his work,,theyre still used today ,i used them several years ago when doing security patrols,i think theres an old post somewhere on bocn with a different version..

found it ,,it was one of panzerknackers ,think he must have been dissapointed with the id cos he didnt reply to the identification http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/looks-ww1-german-t44046.html?t=44046&highlight=watchmans

Last edited:
I think you have hit the nail on the head Spotter, it rings a bell now, sure it was antiques roadshow or somewhere I'd seen one.
Its listed price is 65, not sure of value of these items but seems quite reasonable.

Thanks for all your help
regards Kev

found it ,,it was one of panzerknackers ,think he must have been dissapointed with the id cos he didnt reply to the identification http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/looks-...ight=watchmans posted by Spotter

Sorry Spotter, just got caught up looking at the links you put on. Intresting to read about them, I now know that its not military, but intresting nevertheless.
Great identification, thanks to yourself and 18 Pounder.

regards Kev