What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone recognise these US, German or Jap fuse parts?

ogreve

Hi all,

Recently I acquired a small lot of very nice and diverse Japanese items. Included in the lot were also 4 aluminium fuse parts of which I suspect they're not Japanese.

I kinda suspect they're US parts, rather than Japanese, but I would like to know for sure.
There are no markings on any of them, but a label on the smallest part reads: NOSE PIECE FOR BOMB FUSE/DAUBER Co. Nov. 1944

The word 'Dauber' sounds rather German to me, but I may be off on that one...

Can anyone ID those parts for me?

Thanks a lot in advance. and cheers!
Olafo

Attachments

• unknown_fuse_parts_1.jpg
    unknown_fuse_parts_1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 73
  • unknown_fuse_parts_2.jpg
    unknown_fuse_parts_2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 54
  • unknown_fuse_parts_3.jpg
    unknown_fuse_parts_3.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 49
  • unknown_fuse_parts_4.jpg
    unknown_fuse_parts_4.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 61
Hi Olafo,

They don't resemble any Japanese fuses that are covered in a number of my ref books.

In addition, Japanese fuses are normally very well stamped with arsenal markings, fuse types etc. (see pics).

The small one with the label may be German (?), but the largest looks US to me.

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• DSCN3523.jpg
    DSCN3523.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN3526.JPG
    DSCN3526.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN3527.JPG
    DSCN3527.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 17
View problem

If I can good see on your first pic :

for me, the piece left is the upper part of the complete fuze and the middel piece is the middel part of the fuze. This first piece (left) seems to be screewed in the second piece and the first and second are screewed in a third piece to obtain the complete fuze.

But probably bad view of me !

Yoda

What are the dimensions of the fuze ?
Greatest diameter, length,...
Are there mechanism piece inside ?
Or should it be an inert dummy fuze ?

We have made same sort of bomb fuzes in aluminium for training with different wrenches on bombs. Should it not can be the same thng but for artillery (mortar) shells ?

Dauber Co is founded in 1987 !!!!!

Yoda

Here are a few more shots of the above mentioned fuzes disassembled.

Attachments

• Woodliff group 09SEP10 046 (Small).jpg
    Woodliff group 09SEP10 046 (Small).jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Woodliff group 09SEP10 047 (Small).jpg
    Woodliff group 09SEP10 047 (Small).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Woodliff group 09SEP10 048 (Small).jpg
    Woodliff group 09SEP10 048 (Small).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Woodliff group 09SEP10 051 (Small).jpg
    Woodliff group 09SEP10 051 (Small).jpg
    91 KB · Views: 18
  • Woodliff group 09SEP10 053 (Small).jpg
    Woodliff group 09SEP10 053 (Small).jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 17
Fuze identification

The fuze in your last image is the M85 PD fuze, used for the 57mm HE-projectile for theA/T-gun (US) during WWII/short after.
The other fuze looks like an DM111 type mortar fuze, (made in Germany after WW II) bur I am not really certain with this, since the image is not good for identification. (sideview would be better)
Mrfuze, USA

Hi guys,

Thanks for the IDs!
I see it is as I thought: mostly US parts...
The "dauber" note is intriguing: the label clearly mentions Nov. 1944, but if other records state that that company wasn't founded until 1987, I wonder what the real story is?!?

Cheers,
Olafo

MrFuze

Please advise your reference for the M85 designation. Of 4 fuze manuals at hand, none reflect that designation for a U.S. fuze. Considering the inclusion of these in a lot of Japanese ordnance items, I suspect they are of foreign origin. Certainly not Japanese, but apparently not U.S., either.

All of the extra parts are sections of the "complete" fuze. There are some minor variations but will interchange with the nose piece of the complete fuze. I believe they are of the same type.

See the other pics for needed side view.

Rick

Yoda

As I've been reading up on these, the M85 and M86 appear to be the projectile designators for the 57MM. Still looking and digging on this end.

Rick

Dauber factory lunchbox souveniers.Unfinished 57mm HE fuzes/parts.:xd: Neet-O

I see alot of these kind of unfinished items that come out of Milwaukee. There were a couple of places that made ordnance.

Last edited:
M85 / M86 docs

Hi Rick, the M85PD fuze is listed in the:

Mil-Hdbk. 137, dated 1970, Vol. 2, terminated and obsolete fuzes.

the M86 PD fuze looks similar regarding geometrical configurations, but it has a different internal functioning (rotor type of detonator carrier) and it also has a thin alu/sheet metal body cover, which is crimped above the thread together, so it looks like the extruding body would be made out of one piece.
I hope that helped!
Mrfuze, USA

Thanks much, MrFuze. Yet another manual that needs to be added to the assemblage.

Any chance of some page scans?

Regards

Rick

M85 & M86 PD fuzes...

Hello Rick,

Here are diagrams of the M85 & M86 PD fuzes for the 57mm HE projectile.
Let me know if you need the components identified.

Best regards,

Randall

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 19
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 15
Randall/Shelldude

EXCELLENT! My money's on their being the M85, as originally ID'd by Mrfuze. And Lou's "lunchbox" acquisition seems most probable for their lack of markings.

Rick

Mil Hdbk. 137

Hi Rick,
I probably can get a copy of this handbook.
Please let me know, since this will be approx. 350-450 pages.
Email me at: mtifuze@yahoo.com
Mrfuze, USA