What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't panic! Props for Dad's Army play were live grenades

I reckon the guy wanted to improve his ticket sales and waste some half decent items at the same time.

'I was a bit surprised when she handed me the two hand grenades with the pins still in them. I suddenly realised they might be live.'

We have the same problem in the US. Evidently there is a book or reference document somewhere that I have never seen that states the key identification feature for a "Live" grenade is that it still has the safety pin inserted.

And to think that all these years I erroneously believed that the only way a grenade could be live is if it was filled with explosives and had a detonator/igniter.

Think of all the education money they could save at EOD school by just letting people know this simple little fact!

[/sarcasm]

I think this story was all BS. The grenades had clearly had their filler plugs removed and were more than likely empty. One was missing a lug so could not have retained a pin anyway. As usual with munitions, the BBC and the media in general always get it wrong. I saw a .22 rifle referred to in the Time as 'High calibre'. I almost choaked on my cornflakes. They should get their work proof read by someone with a some knowledge of the subject.

This guy was obviously trying to get publicity for the play. I'm surprised the EOD didn't give him a ticket for time wasting.

John

I like how the guy was allowed to pose with the said "live" grenades for the Press,you never see the guys who find the crates of 76 s posing with them smoking at their feet ,but 9 times out of 10 the Press usually get it wrong ,regards Dave

From the BBC news online:

Live grenade prop used in Dad's Army play

_48012158__44705731_army_bbc226b-1.jpg

Dad's Army was screened from 1968 to 1977

A theatre group staging a production of Dad's Army narrowly avoided the production going with a bang after using live grenades as props.
The grenades had come from one of the cast member's father-in-law's garage following a clear-out after his death.
The grenades were being used in a rehearsal when a Magor Players' cast member realised they could be live.
Police were called and carried out a controlled explosion.
The play was an adaptation of the popular TV comedy Dad's Army which was screened from 1968 to 1977.
Keith Poultney, who was taking the role of Corporal Jones - catchphrase "Don't Panic" - followed his character's advice and remained calm even as he realised the bomb in his hand was live.
_48012435_001245627-1.jpg

Corporal Jones' catchphrase was 'Don't Panic'

The grenades had been mounted on a display plate and it was only once they were removed it became apparent they still had the pins in.
He told BBC Radio Wales: "It was during rehearsals fortunately. It would have been a bit unfortunate in of a crowd of 100 people.
"It was in a rehearsal just prior to doing a live show.
"I held them several times and handed them around to friends. We'd driven down from Droitwich in Worcestershire with them rattling around in the back of the car."
Once Mr Poultney realised the potential danger, he put them in a field outside his house and contacted the emergency services.
"The police just said 'keep well clear and we'll get the bomb squad down'," he said.
The police blew the grenade partially apart to make it safe but much to Mr Poultney's disappointment the group were not allowed to have them back as the World War I devices are crown property.
"It was a bit unfortunate because they just blew part of the hand grenade away to examine them, so when you had your hand on them, they looked like complete grenades, so I though we could still use them as props," he explaned.
In the end, they had to carve a replica out of wood.
Mr Poultney said of the two-night play run: "It was all done in good fun.
"I don't think anyone could be as good as the original one was but I think we paid a fair tribute to them."

I think this story was all BS. The grenades had clearly had their filler plugs removed and were more than likely empty. One was missing a lug so could not have retained a pin anyway.

Your presuming that the grenades shown are the same ones from the story, I wouldn't be surprised if they were 'props' brought in by the photographer to illustrate the story. Never believe what you read/see in the 'Mail'!