What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dopp 92 fuze question

As some of you already know I have a real liking for GERMAN WW1 artillery fuzes along with grenades too. Well I have 3 Dopp 92 fuzes and 2 are different. One on right reads
Dopp Z.92.
SP16

One on left reads
Dopp Zc/92
Sb

The fuzes look identical (the old eyes aint what they used to be, but I have my reading glasses on) beside the different markings. Would the marking denote which type od shell it would go on? Or maybe it means nothing...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 413.jpg
    Picture 413.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 29
My Opinion !!!

Dear my friend some infos ia have about your fuse !!

The first on Doppel Z 92 SP 16 ( Z only for Znder SP 16 manufacturer Artilleriewerkstatt Spandau 1916 )

The second Doppel Zc 92 SB ( Zc not sure Sb for manufacturer Artilleriewerkstatt Siegburg )

i am only not sure about the Zc what does it mean !!!

wbr David

Thanks David my friend, Spandau 1916, now that means something to me as I was not sure if 16 was year of manufacture or not. Cool stuff to learn about. I seem to be liking the WW1 German fuzes even more than the grenades at this point and you can buy them cheap especially if dug or with a little battle damage and that's the way I like it! Your tube should arrive, well I don't know when as this is first time I shipped to Germany...Dano

Hi,
"Z" is for Znder too.
"C" seem to be for "Construction" :

Extract from "Notes on German Shells", second edition, Mai, 1918.

Stephan

Dano, the "16" is the date and the "C" was used for fuzes of older manufaction. Your "C 92" should have a date in the small slot on the side, which was used for the key to screw it into the shell. In one slot there should be a "Wd" or "Wa" and on the other side the date. I think it is older than the 1916 made one. Maybe around 1900 or something like that, right?

Why Dop Z 92 an Dopp Z c/92:
Because Dopp Z 92 is the original fuze and Dopp Z c/92 is modified by addition of a vertical knife drove by inertia at the beginning of the blow which will immobilize the plate of adjustment of time ring after setting.

Dano, the "16" is the date and the "C" was used for fuzes of older manufaction. Your "C 92" should have a date in the small slot on the side, which was used for the key to screw it into the shell. In one slot there should be a "Wd" or "Wa" and on the other side the date. I think it is older than the 1916 made one. Maybe around 1900 or something like that, right?
Yes Jens, I found it using my reading glasses and a magnifier. It has Wd on one slot and 97 on the other, so does that mean this fuze was made in 1897??? Also Jens, sorry so long in answering your post, as the thread must have "jumped page" before I caught back up to it..... Dano

Last edited:
mistake, excuse me

Pleased Excuse me I made an inversion read this rather why Dop Z 92 an Dopp Z c/92:
Because Dopp Z C/92 is the original fuze and Dopp Z 92 is modified by addition of a vertical knife drove by inertia at the beginning of the blow which will immobilize the plate of adjustment of time ring after setting.

Dano: Right, it was made 1897.

Doctor: Thanks for the details. I only knew about the C/92 beeing the earlier type.