What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dopp.Z.15,anyone know how they come apart?

AndyD

I have a German WW1 Dopp.Z.15 fuze (Totally inert!),that I would like to strip with a view to doing a cutaway version.

Does anyone know how they strip down?
I've removed all the main screws,soaked it in oil for ages,but it still won't move!

Any ideas anyone please?

Cheers,
Andy

Dopp Z.15

Hi Andy, not sure what to tell you on that but I sure would appreciate seeing a picture of the fuze...Dano

what you can try

What you can try but you have to be realy carefull make him hot in the kitchen oven or with a small gas torch !!

wbr David

Tried heating it,still won't move!

Does the copper pin in the top have to be removed before it will come apart?

Cheers,
Andy

andy not the clearest of drawings but may help you

Attachments

• dopz15.jpg
    dopz15.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 76
Thanks Allan.

I'm trying to work out if the safety pin which is still rusted in place would stop it from coming apart.

It looks like the fuze went off with the pin in place,causing the ring above the time ring to crack.

If the pin is stopping it,any ideas on how to get it out,maybe drill it out?

Cheers,
Andy

Is it a relic fuze? If yes, it may be totaly deformed due the impact which makes it impossible to strip.

You mean the small copper rod between the top brass disc and the fuze body? It was placed there to prevent the disc from rotating etc. Maybe you can drill it out and then try to unscrew the disc.

Not a relic,it's in excellent condition.

As I mentioned,it looks like it detonated with the pin in place,which is now rusted in.

I can only presume that the fuze got very hot causing the fuze to go off,the vents are still in place and the second bottom ring has cracked when it detonated.

Cheers,
Andy

Sorry,camera not co-operating,must need new batteries!

If anyone else has any info. without the pics please let me know!

Cheers,
Andy

OK,managed to get 3 pics before the batteries died!

Hope these are ok and can help somebody to answer the question.

Cheers,
Andy

Attachments

• DOPP.Z.15.jpg
    DOPP.Z.15.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 61
  • DOPP.Z.15 (2).jpg
    DOPP.Z.15 (2).jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 58
  • DOPP.Z.15(3).jpg
    DOPP.Z.15(3).jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 62

Cheers,
Andy

Andy
that sure is a good fuze in lovelly condition.

You sure you need it stripped down?

In my experiance,the effort needed to strip it down isnt worth the damage thats usually caused.

I leave this stuff alone now,ive slipped too many times and scratched some thing i didnt want to.
It would be a real great shame to damage any part of this shell.

Why dont you display it as it is mate

18pounder

I had considered leaving it,but thought I could do a cutaway,removing the damaged part of the ring,or simply replace the ring.

I can't do either though until I've got it apart,I just need to know what's stopping it from unscrewing!

Cheers,
Andy

Beautiful Dopp Z.15

Cheers,
Andy
Hey Andy, Still cannot help with disassembly of your fuze. I just wanted to comment "man that is one bitchin' fuze", that is in great condition. I am a guy used to getting relics (and i'm proud of them in their own right) and this Dopp Z.15 is SWEET. I wasn'nt even aware of it's existance before you started this thread. Me likey and me wants one. Excellent stuff...Dano

well said

This is an excellent fuze in great condition. I would never think about making a cut or to damage it.
Well said Jens (Der Feldgraue), Why risk damage to this absolute work of art. this fuze is in such fine condition that to risk damage to it just don't make any sense to me. Artillery fuzes (at least most of mine) are hard to find in this great of condition and to risk brakage would have to be thought about. What a fine fuze the Dopp Z.15, and I hope someday to grace my collection with one. In the end Andy the choice is obviously yours...Dano

Any tips on how I can get it apart please?

Cheers,
Andy

You could try heating it up first (as long as your 1000% sure its safe)
have you tried using a screwdriver in the screw slots on the top yet?
Alot of fuzes are held together by this nose cap.

If nothing moves mate with force it isnt gong too.
By the time youve hammered it off it aint gonna be worth scrap

For the top to move I think I'd have to remove the copper pin.

As I've mentioned,all the other screws come out and heat has been applied,no luck so far,I've belted it with a rubber mallet to try and 'shock' it into moving,still no joy!

I'll keep heating and putting back in the oil,something will give eventually,the fuze or me!

Cheers,
Andy