What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DOPP. Z. S/60 Geb.

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Question for anyone ....

We have pictures of the DOPP. Z. S/60 Geb. does anyone have any information on this fuze. We have information on the DOPP. Z. S/160 Geb. and they look like duplicates. But we cannot figure out why they would have dropped the 1.

Any ideas. I can provided pictures of the DOPP. Z. @/60 Geb if your interested in seeing it.

Joe

Images of this fuze

Here you go ... here are some images of this fuze.

DIA: 60MM
Length: 90MM
Exposed: 74MM

So any ideas?

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-SM-205-4.jpg
    ICE-SM-205-4.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 49
  • ICE-SM-205-5.jpg
    ICE-SM-205-5.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 79
  • ICE-SM-205-25.jpg
    ICE-SM-205-25.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 47
  • ICE-SM-205-26.jpg
    ICE-SM-205-26.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 41
Hello

Nice pictures, thank you.

It's a german mechanical fuze for mountain gun. 60s delay.

60 is the time?

So I take it the 60 stands for the time?

So on the 160 Geb it would be a 160 second fuze?

Joe

Can you post document of picture of 160 fuze? I can find details of 60 only in my sources. Mountain guns have rather short range and I wonder what they would have done with 160 seconds delay?

Interesting

Can you post the material you have on the s/60 Geb?

I don't have any pictures of the S/160 Geb at this point, but the information can be found at TM 9-1985-3 page 605

Joe

That must be a writing or stamping mistake, no shell -especially not a short range mountain gun- will fly though the air for 160 seconds, so there is no need to produce such a fuze. If there is one, it will shurely not be a round nose one like this, for long distance artillery it would shurely be a pointed fuze.

Last edited:
Per OP 1666 vol 1

See image from pg 596 of OP 1666 vol 1

Joe

Attachments

• 5-19-2010 11-16-29.jpg
    5-19-2010 11-16-29.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 43
You are correct, I have the same manual but however I think there is just a misprint/misunderstanding in it. This manual says nothing about 60 sec. fuze which was a standard one in use. Further none of my German manuals mention 160 sec. fuze - neither I have seen any, but 60 sec fuzes though.

This would not be the only mistake in these WW2 US manuals.

Here drawing of 60 sec fuze. I may have the same in other sources as well.

Attachments

• Dopp.Z.S-60 Geb.jpg
    Dopp.Z.S-60 Geb.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 34
Yes

You could be correct. If I discover the 160 version I will post images. I am interested in how this typo could have happened in several versions of pubs writen at the time.

Joe

Hello

It seems me it's enormous 160 seconds delay. Could you imagine an artillery shell in the air for 160 seconds (in WWII ?)
I guess no. (but I can be wrong)