What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dopp Z96 and Z96 n/A

This is one of the most common of German WW1 artillery fuzes and my personal favorite. The Dopp Z96 is a double effect fuze with a revolving discs time system and also a percussion system. Again this was a very common fuze being equipped on shells of 77mm FK96 n/A and FK16 field guns. It was used without modification on shrapnel shells, or added with a detonator in the case of explosive shells. Its static disc was graduated from 0 to 50, for an ignition after a flight from 0 to 5000 meters (the n/A marks were successively graduated up to 5350, 7150, 6500 and 7000 meters), and the mobile disc was engraved with the index. The concutor (for the ignition of the time system) was located in the axis of the head, and the percussion system (for an occasional function at the impact time) in the tail. The oldest models were equipped, at rest, with a safety pin. The newer ones (n/A) had no safety pin..Dano

Attachments

• Picture 415.jpg
    Picture 415.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 29
Hi Dano

Thank you for sharing.

So... I saw last week this fuze, with a strange marking, next 96 n/A, and I took few pictures.

marking : Dopp.Z.96.n/A.Zl

Do someone know what Zl. for, or what its mean ?

Attachments

• DSCF7900.JPG
    DSCF7900.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF7901.JPG
    DSCF7901.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
more 96 than you can shake a stick at!!!

Hi Pascal, I have never seen that particular marking, hopefully someone in our knowledgable membership will have an idea. Before this I was only familiar with Dopp Z96 and Dopp Z96 n/A. thanks for showing that piece as it gives me another to add to the old want list. Respectfully....Dano

Sorry : wrong message. I don't know how to delete it...

Last edited:
Zinc alloy

Minen, Do you know if all the Dopp Z96,s were of Zinc alloy or just this one designated as such. I'm curious as all the 96,s are an alloy of some sort but highly polished like something one might not assoiate with zinc alloy. Curiousity is killing this cat...Dano

Makes good sense doctor, because when you look at the ZI it has that dull Zinc look to it and not the polished aluminum look. thanks...Dano