What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drill 37mm ID

I notice the listing in the link lasted one day only, in May, and the seller account appears to be closed.
An item with the same photo and description had already been sold in January. A friend bid but did not win it.

Last edited:
i think its british 2pr navy drill round

Attachments

• P1030200.JPG
    P1030200.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 32
  • P1030203.JPG
    P1030203.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 25
  • P1030201.JPG
    P1030201.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 24
2Pr Drill a.jpg2Pr Drill b.jpgI agree that it looks like a 2Pr Vickers Navy Drill round.
I have one steel case Drill Mk V1 as shown. It is 39.7mm projectile diameter and 285mm long. Rubber in primer pocket.
I have noted another Drill (not in my collection) headstamped: QF 2PR Mk V111 Gun Mk 111 DRILL K.CM N 1942.
It is also steel with a 4mm wide groove 146/150mm from the rim. There must be other 2pr Drill rounds so please show them.
Who are the makers KCM and LCR ?
Edit. Just noticed the latest post and the case shoulder does seem different to the 2Pr Vickers so unknown but a nice item.

Last edited:
37 & 40mm Cannister.jpegI think you are correct Burney Davis but hard to ID when no dimensions are given.
I show the French 40x100R compared to the 37mm cannister shell. 40mm is 210mm overall.
If it is a Drill round 40mm then a very scarce item in my opinion and nice to see.

Thanks for all answers.
Length and general shape are close to french 40mm canister cartridge 1879.
So could be drill cartridge for this gun.

Is the first totaly made of brass ?

I don't know, the guy wrote "same black material as practice subcaliber cartridge", so I assume Bakelite but could be protective material as we can see a kind of winding.