What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dummy U.S. MK1

Here is what me thinks is a dummy grenade. First of October stuff to arrive. Obviously a sand cast mold and not much prettier than your common turd, but I absolutely love this piece. these things are around but have long dumbfounded me with the MK2 body and MK1 mock fuze. I will shortly start a thread on such muck, but just want to enjoy for now. ....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 226.jpg
    Picture 226.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
that is supposed to be a Mk. 1 training dummy, but it looks awfully crude to me. Apologies for the poor and small photo, but this is what it should look like.

Attachments

• mk1training[1].jpg
    mk1training[1].jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 23
Hi sgtLynn, crudeness is due to sand mold which is commonplace for the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen a lot of different but similar types to these,,did they leave the sandcast ones in rough condition or did they go on for refinishing,,i believe dano mentioned some copies been sold in a previous post ,,how do you tell the difference

Last edited:
heres a few different Mk1 practice grenades. 1st pic Mk1 dummy, 2nd pic is an unthreaded Mk1 body. 3rd pic a commercialy made mk 1 which is a much better likeness to the original mk1 gren, 4th pic Mk1A1 which is more like the Mk2 gren.
Paul

Attachments

• Page11Mk1dummy.jpg
    Page11Mk1dummy.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 11
  • Page11Mk1practice.jpg
    Page11Mk1practice.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Page11Mk1Practice2.jpg
    Page11Mk1Practice2.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Page11Mk1A1practice.jpg
    Page11Mk1A1practice.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Here is what me thinks is a dummy grenade. First of October stuff to arrive. Obviously a sand cast mold and not much prettier than your common turd, but I absolutely love this piece. these things are around but have long dumbfounded me with the MK2 body and MK1 mock fuze. I will shortly start a thread on such muck, but just want to enjoy for now. ....Dano

Dano,

That is what we have referred to as a MK I throwing dummy as it has the MK I style safety lever on it.

What we refer to as the MK II throwing dummy has the MK II style safety lever on it.

The throwing dummies were used at the start of grenade training so the drill instructors could show the proper throwing technique before trainees moved on to using fuzed practice grenades.

The MK I version is not that common so while it may be ugly it is definitely something to hang on to. The one that I have was recovered from a horse stall just outside of Ft. Dix NJ over 10 yrs ago an it was the first one I had ever seen. I've seen a few since then but not many and not usually in good shape.

Paul, nice photos and a really good representative selection there.

Last edited:
Yesterday's finds. Did a little research, FM 23-30 HAND AND RIFLE GRENADES 4/1949 calls the throwing dummies; grenade, hand, training, Mk1A1. It also said that they were black with no markings on them. So my question is were they ever painted red? I know red was used for training before WWII but this is the oldest referance I have. So are they real or copies? BTW they do not have Korea any where on them that I can see. Also picked up a Mk2 practice.

Attachments

• New grenades 101009 001.jpg
    New grenades 101009 001.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 8
  • New grenades 101009 002.jpg
    New grenades 101009 002.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 7
  • New grenades 101009 003.jpg
    New grenades 101009 003.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 6
  • New grenades 101009 005.jpg
    New grenades 101009 005.jpg