What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dutch AP33 mine

John77

I took this picture 5 years ago at an airshow in the Netherlands. Never paid attention to it but yesterday i was looking at the pictures again and i noticed this mine.

I know the AP23 and the trainingversion of the nr23, the AP28.
In my documentation or on the internet, i can't find information the AP33 exc.

Is this a wrong number and should it be nr28? Or does anybody have some info about the number 33...

Attachments

• Ap33.jpg
    Ap33.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 115
I only know the AP 23 was taken out of service after some very serious accidents. The tilt fuze is connected to a round bellvile spring that should flip the other way when activated, driving the firing pin in the firing cap when the tilt rod is bend.
However, this bellville spring had the nasty tendency to form a S shape when bend, causing the spring to freeze in position. It could than flip up, either downward, making the mine extremely dangerous.

An experienced instructor died when he approached a disfunctional mine that suddenly exploded, after half an hour waiting on a distance.

In another incident an instructor showed a classroom of soldiers the workinga of an AP23 with a mine he thought to be inert. It wasn't. seven people died on the spot and the rest of the class was disabled for life either severely wounded.
I can still remember the papers stating "the entire floor of the classromm was covered in a half centimeter deep pool of blood"

After that it was descided to immediately remove the AP23 from the army's invertory and destroy all mines. The latter has been done very thoroughly as I have not ever seen an inert mine of this type, suitable for colecting or cutaway purposes. So the chance of ever encountering one (in a collectable fashion) is 0%
Regards, DJH

Last edited:
Hi DJH,

I have read the "ombudsman" documents about this infamous mine. This included the eyewitness reports as well. I have 2 AP-28's in my collection and still looking for the EXC version of this type, but i didn't know that they called it AP-33 instead of AP-28.
I think the name AP-33 is therefore mistaken and should be AP-23.
I wass still hoping to find a AP-23, but i also figured out that this was a very slim chance.

I found it a bit weird that indeed all these mines were destroyed* but that an EXC version pops up at an airshow.

There are still rumors that this mine/fragments were found at Enschede during the firework-disaster, which caused the enormous explosion.

Exc Nr 33

John,

There is a Exc min called Nr 33, see attached drawing. The Nr 33 was used for training so you could work with the Nr 23.
The Nr 33 was without any explosive or smoke elements. The Nr 28 was the practice version and used the Nr 23 smoke pellet. When the Nr 28 was actived it give for about 5 seconds a white smoke compossion.

Regards,

Chris

Attachments

• Excercitie AP Nr 33.jpg
    Excercitie AP Nr 33.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 54
Chris, I see you live in Holland from your contact info. Have you tried the MTM DAWN museum. He may have the Exc type you are looking for.
Regards, DJH

Thanks for the info about the Ap-33. From which document do you have that copy Chris? VS 9-853?

I bought my Nr28 ap practice from Joop (MTM DAWN indeed)). Next meeting in september i will ask for this mine.

I found out that there a few versions of the Ap-28, now i only have to find out how much. I have 2 different ones allready.(1 w/o fuse unfortunately)

Pzgr 40,

I'm not looking for the Exc Nr 33 but John is.

John I have the drawing from a DMKL document.
As far as I no the Nr 33 was never in the VS 9-853 and only a couple were made and destroyed after the accident with the Nr 23.
At your photo I see the spider shoes they are used by the Engineers (Genie) can you rember if that is correct?

I will have a look for you om monday for the different Nr 28.

Chris

About the spider shoes i have no idea.

Thanks for looking at the AP28 versions.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
For the good order:

Antipersoneelsmijn NR 23 = live ap mine. Green colour with yellow markings.

Oefenantipersoneelsmijn NR 28 = practice ap mine. Blue colour with white markings.

Exercitieantipersoneelsmijn NR 33 = drill ap mine. Bronze/gold colour with black markings & letters EXC.

Today i bought an AP-33 and a spare AP-28 for my collection. The AP-33 is missing some paint and has some small dents which i want to repair.

Does anybody know which RAL colors the Dutch army used/uses for this AP33 and AP28. It's gold for the AP33 (like Antoon posted above) and blue for the AP28.

Attachments

• AP33 exc.jpg
    AP33 exc.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Ap nr 28.jpg
    Ap nr 28.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 24
I think I saw you passing by with both today and a smile on your face. Maybe you remember me, I was sitting behind a famous "broodje bal pinda van Ria" ;)
Nice find for your collection , even these practice ones are getting quite rare.

Last edited:
That's possible indeed :smile: ( i wore a black poloshirt/black pants and a big smile because i was happy with this nice additions to my collection)

Last edited:
Glad to hear you found what you were looking for. Although it was not the best collectors meeting of all time I found some nice stuff too. The international two days meetings are allways the best ones.
regards, DJH