What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E.H.Z.17 German fuze

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Thought I would share these images from the Aberdeen Ordnance Museum.

Any ideas about the manufacturing company Stock & Co 18?

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-ML-46-4.jpg
    ICE-ML-46-4.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 88
  • ICE-ML-46-10.jpg
    ICE-ML-46-10.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 83
  • ICE-ML-46-20.jpg
    ICE-ML-46-20.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 50
Empfindlicher Haubitze Zunder model 1917

This is an instantaneous fuze thet contained 23 grams of picric acid. Hard to find in any condition close to your example shown. Used on gas and explosive shells of
105mm light field howitzer IFH 98/09
105mm light field howitzer IFH16
105mm light field howitzer IFH Krupp

Just a question; what does the "U" in front of type designation stand for?

training

In the museum we have seen this on multiple fuzes. We think they were inerted after they were manufactured for training or display.

U = unterrrichts = instructional

Joe

Thanks Joe,
Another understandable, new and interesting marking for me. I'm not that familiar with WW1 fuzes.

Hi,

Very interesting and nice fuze.
R. Stock & Co also manufactured bayonets before and during WW1.

Thank for showing!
Stephan

This fine fuze having the "U" designation, would I be correct to assume it never had picric acid in it? What I am getting at is that an unfired one may still have picric acid and be quite dangerous? Dano

quite inert

I took this fuze apart at the museum .. it is quite inert. I found the size of the firing pin quite interesting. The same with the manufacturer. I thought it might be western made, with a company name like that.

Joe

Hi Joe, Never heard of the maker Stock & Co. but has to be German and the 18 obviously means it was made in 1918. Again most of these fuzes are trashed being made of highly corrosive alloy. I have never seen one in such fine condition...Dano

i gues ( U )

i think U stands in this case for ( Ubung ) practise it cpuld be realy a practise fuze !!

Wbr David

It is a German company situated in Berlin. As stated previously they also
made bayonets (will try to locate a picture) and also read somewhere that
they were also involved in the making of the 'Granatenwerfer 16' in license
although I have never seen there name on any of the Granatewerfers
displayed in museums.

Cheers, Jan

As promised a picture of a German M98/05 'Sawback' bayonet made by
Stock & Co, Berlin-Marienfelde.

Cheers, Jan

Attachments

• stock_berlin.jpg
    stock_berlin.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 8
Interesting Jan, I think Joe had mentioned earlier that with a name like Stock one might think it to be of western manufacture. I like seeing different type weapons with the same makers mark. Deffo German in origin. Thanks for showing...Dano

another idear about the U

What i found out the sign U stands sometimes for ( Umgebaut ) modified too !!

wbr David

Mostly it is written as Umg and after the fuze type markings. Also bung is rather written b or Ueb.
I put my coins on Unterricht until someone shows a document to verify.

Hi
U = Uebung, Training, instructional
This letter is found stamped before the name of the fuze an used in school
found also on EHZ16c (drill gaine fuze)

just for addition, I have a H.Z.14 made of brass from the manufacturer Stock & Co. I also have som old drills and tools, thin in peace times the were a toll fabric.

regards
nudelmannrichter