What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

early 13 pounder projectile ? your thoughts??

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
I picked this one up recently and not being my area I would appreciate your thoughts.

The body is marked QF 13 Pr
I
F S
VSM
18 / 11 / 05

The fuze is aluminium and is marked V.S. & M. 80. 1. 332. 2/07

The projectile has been fired, I think it may be shrapnel ? as there is a lip to the bottom inside the body. (I have tried to take a picture or two so you can see)
what are the correct colour schemes for shells of this period?

There are a few other marks to the bottom of the body.

So over to the more 'enlightened' , what do you think???

regards Kev

HPIM9832.jpgHPIM9833.jpg HPIM9834.jpg
HPIM9835.jpgHPIM9836.jpgHPIM9840.jpg
HPIM9838.jpgHPIM9839.jpgHPIM9837.jpg

Hi Kev, Yes its a 13pdr MkI Shrapnel FS is forged steel VSM is vickers i think and made 18 Nov 1905 and fuze is a No80 MkI 1907, nice one they are getting harder to come by, nice find.
Andy

Last edited:
Thanks Andy, what would the correct colour scheme be for the shrapnel round?

I also would like to know what members would do, leave this one as it is, strip off the colour that is on there and leave it as bare metal, or re-paint it as it ought to be (if I am correct in thinking it is currently painted as an HE) ?

regards Kev

Hi Kev, i would strip it back to bare metal and if its free of filla would just oil it or wax it, the correct colour was black with a red filling band the same as the 18pdrs
Andy

I'm with Andy on identity, personally I'd strip the paint and apply the correct colours for shrapnel of that period. there was no HE in 13pr 1905. From the photos I doubt there is filler unless to hide any impact damage anyway this generally shows up as too smooth a finish, if there is then after stripping replace the filler - P38 or similar. I'd give it an anti rust treatment before painting just in case there is any lurking in the metal pores. 2pr

Hi Kev,

13-Pdr shrapnel were black body, top 1" below the mouth red, half-inch below that red band another half-inch wide red band to indicate "filled". There were then various stencils to indicate date of filling and who did it, lot number, whether fuzed, etc, but these stencils tended to change over the years.

Must admit that although the existing paint job looks well done, because it is totally wrong for this shell, if it were mine I would strip it and repaint it correctly.

Regards,
Roger.

Thanks for your replies guys.

.......and I took your advice, the paintwork is now stripped............looks like I struck lucky with this one!!

what do you think now?

r.jpgu.jpg

regards Kev

Nice one Kev, i thought i was right in saying just strip it, it looks great and well done.
Cheers
Andy

My 2 bits worth,
Nice clean proj. you can't put orignal paint on it,just new paint. PLEASE LEAVE IT AS IS.
Frank

Thanks Andy, Richard and Frank for your replies.....and dont worry this one will stay as it is!!

I wasnt really sure what I would find under the paint until it was stripped, if it had been filled then I would have repainted it in the correct colour scheme. However no need, I was lucky!!

regards Kev