What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early Bomb disposal tools

Rockteer

Hi, Can anyone confirm please the following, am I right in saying early Bomb Disposal Officers used cooper hammers which were non magnetic? also if this is correct then then did they also use copper chisels? I know this basic kit was used to knock out the fuse locking rings. Lastly, are crabtree dischargers hard to find??

To start with i don't think thy used any brass tools until the magnetic mines were used, dugup are doing repro Crabtrees

Hello,

the amagnetic tools are always in use by EOD technicians. They are not made with copper but with an alloy on base of brass.
We use a complete panel of amagnetic tools : hammer, chisels, screwdrivers,...
Don't forget that modern bombs can be used with magnetic fuzes. Neutralisation of them need amagnetic tools.

Yoda

There were some brass tools early on. These were eventually replaced with beryllium, as it held its shape better. The beryllium tools were a constant problem though, with concerns of heavy metal poisoning if you were to get a scratch, inhale dust off the tools, etc. It is my understanding that the beryllium tools were eventually replaced (1990s), but I am not sure with what.

Another feature with brass and some other alloy metal tools is that they do not create sparks.

So if one was to look out for these tools (wartime vintage) how would one Identify them, I see a lot of things advertised for sale as "bomb disposal" tools but how can one tell? was there any WD stamps etc? I guess in the early days of 1940 they just used whatever they could find.

Also keep in mind that non-ferrous tools have been used onboard oil tankers, and still are used world wide, when working in gas-hazardous areas. Thus, what you get offered is not necessarily of any military origin.