What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early British 4.5in Howitzer shell

Vasco Da Gama

Pictured is what I think is an early British 4.5in Howitzer shell, length 345mm and diameter 114mm. I think it is an early example because of the wide driving band (width 30mm), later WW1 examples have a far narrow band. I don't think it is a shrapnel shell as the side walls are thick and there is no pocket at the base for the gunpowder charge to expel the balls. The construction of the nose is interesting as the top section (65mm deep) appears to be fixed to the main body, I don't understand the deep hole and lower screw fixing pictured? Just an early HE variant, the fuse pocket has a deep threaded section and takes a No 101 fuse nicely or something else? Glad to be educated, don't worry about the colour merely applied to prevent rust until I can work out what it should look like!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 32
Yes it is a British 4.5inch projectile. It's one of the earliest designs, known as the "solid head" type. These were originally HE, but we're also converted for use with chemical.

Cheers

Pete

Hello Pete,

I don't agree, the first design solid head 4.5in is 315/320mm long and is only fitted with a GS fuze (1in).
The HE shell shown was used during ww1. This shell was also made with a narrow driving band.
Hollow head screwed on body - one hole for the wrench, one hole for a set screw.

Regards

4.5in head screwed.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shell, this is what an HE looks like, here is a pic of My HE
Andy

Attachments

• 4.5 HE.jpg
    4.5 HE.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 40