What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early British Anti Riot Munitions

roller63

Premium Member
Can anyone help me with pictures, drawings and details of early British Army riot control munitions, baton rounds, cs producing stores etc up to about 1975 ? For example, when did the British Army first use cs smoke (tear gas) I have a card cased baton round dated 1959, the oldest one in my collection. I have good information from around that date but only dibs and drabs before then. thanks in advance, Tony.

This any good? Came from a Jan 1973 amendment to Land Operations. Vol III Counter Revolutionary Operations Part 2 Internal Security

Grenadeirritant.jpg

Dischargergrenade.jpg

CS Grenades

still looking..............................

You asked about first use of CS in British grenades, this is something I wrote for Rick Landers (see his book 'Grenade'):

"In 1958 experiments began with No 91 Mark 2 grenades filled with a powerful lachrymator codenamed T792. A redesign incorporating side venting created the experimental Grenade, Hand, Anti-Riot X7E1 and, at about the same time, T792 was called CS (after its American inventors, Corson and Stoughton and dates back to about 1928). In about March 1960 the X7 matured to Service status as the Grenade, Hand, Anti-Riot L1A1 and deliveries commenced later in the year."

Rick covered in outline the A-R grenades up to L16 or thereabouts.

Last edited:
Thanks again, I'm sure I must have read that in the book but it was a while ago now and the old brain is not as good as it used to be ! Tony.