What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early Projectile for ID

Shell Shifter

This came associated with an interesting Hotchkiss powder cartridge. Don't think that it is Hotchkiss.
Weight: 28.6 kg
length o/a: 256mm
base diameter: 83mm

It had been fired. I can't easily count the grooves but will presently.

Marks on the base as shown but there is a "V" that occasionally looks like a broad arrow. Is that possible?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Attachments

• Base.jpg
    Base.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Over all.jpg
    Over all.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 53
Hello,

It's a french shell "obus de 7". This shell was made with different internal design : "obus de 7 ordinaire" (HE : black powder) -"obus de 7 double paroi" (double wall+black powder) - "obus de 7 balles" (shrapnel). Shells for "canon de 7 systme De Reffye" service 1880.
Your fuze is a "25/38mm Mle 1875 systme Budin"
Best Regards.

obus de 7 ordinaire.jpgobus de 7.jpg

Last edited:
It sounds like you know the actual shell that I have!!

Tell me, what is the reference that you provided?

Thank you very much.

Hello,

It's a french shell "obus de 7". This shell was made with different internal design : "obus de 7 ordinaire" (HE : black powder) -"obus de 7 double paroi" (double wall+black powder) - "obus de 7 balles" (shrapnel). Shells for "canon de 7 systme De Reffye" service 1880.
Your fuze is a "25/38mm Mle 1875 systme Budin"
Best Regards.

View attachment 79162View attachment 79163

It's just that I was very diligent in EOD class !!!!

(from my documentation of work)

I forget that in Europe you might well come across one of these in the field whereas here they are only in collections.