What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easily identify a Mills, need help

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hi,

I'm sure there are Mills experts on this forum.

I was sure to know the difference between the various models of grenade Mills but I realize now that I'm completely lost...

I saw a N23 Mk1 looks like a N5 and a N23 Mk3 looks like a N36.
Without reading tags on the base plug, how makes the diffrence ??

Thanks.

Az16

Hi.
The no5, 23mk1 and 23mk2 all have the same style of body. The only visible differences are to the base plugs and strikers. The 23mk3, 36mk1 and 36m have the newer style of body. again the only way to tell them apart is from base plugs and body markings. hope this makes it a bit clearer.
Paul.

Millsbombers website would have been the perfect place for you to see all the Mills types but alas its gone.

Andy

No Paul, its gone which is a shame, a very good reference website it was too. On a par with yours of course.

Andy

Thats great Dave,

i miss it on Sundays as i always look at it in depth whilst sorting my mum's weekly medication, looked at all my own piccys too many times.

Andy

Here's my view

Early No 5's - Centrecast Body or side cast body, Aluminium Filler Screw, Channelled lever, small split ring, Aluminium baseplug or solid Brass Basplug with two holes (mainly 1915). Solid striker.

1916 No 5's - Sidecast body, brass filler screws, Solid Brass or brass cup baseplug. Levers - flat, convex or ridged. Slotted striker and larger split ring.

1916 - August 1916 onwards - No23 - Body as No 5, Brass Filler screws Initially Solid Brass Baseplug, later cast iron. Levers as 1916 No 5's.

Baseplugs for No 5 dissapeared January 1917, thereafter N0 23 used as dual purpose grenade.

September 1917 No 23 Mk III (with the No 36 type body) through to about April 1918 the No 23 MkIII ran in parrellel with No 36 Mk1. New striker, flat pressed lever and iron plugs. Makers name on body.

April 1918 to 1972 No 36 main Grenade of British Army. Alloy or Mazack plug appeared 1930's (I think). Solid rings become more usual but split rings still present.

Of course this is not 100% accurate as there were numerous overlaps in usage for various bits.

John

Early No 5's - Centrecast Body or side cast body, Aluminium Filler Screw, Channelled lever, small split ring, Aluminium baseplug or solid Brass Basplug with two holes (mainly 1915). Solid striker.

John[/QUOTE]

hi.there was a few early no 5s with brass fillers.i had a 1915 centercast with brass filler Aluminium baseplug and Aluminium centerpiece.
.Darrol