What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easter egg grenade with mystery woodscrew?

navyman

Hello all,
I received this inert Eirehansgranate today. Heard something loose inside and having removed the car body filler from the base discovered a rusty woodscrew inside! I can't remove it from the deac base hole or the fuse pocket? How did it get in there, was it previously owned by Paul Daniels & Debbie, or am I losing my marbles?
Cheers,
navyman.

Attachments

• egg screw 1a.jpg
    egg screw 1a.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 35
  • egg screw 2a.jpg
    egg screw 2a.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 35
  • egg screw 3a.jpg
    egg screw 3a.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 30
Hello Andy,
Yes again! I was being a little bit too gentle with the poor old thing. I've removed the offending screw by easing it from the fuse pocket anti clockwise of course and a little application of swearing. Glad to let you know that it surrendered. It can only have got there by the fuse pocket and could only have been accessed with a screwdriver from the deac hole in the base so I would imagine that it was perhaps fixed to a wooden base at some time?
I think the mystery is now solved, but who will ever know the true story.............?
Cheers,
navyman.

Attachments

• egg unscrewed 1a.jpg
    egg unscrewed 1a.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 33
Well done Guy,

from the look of it, its been there a while and the rust has probably added a little to the size of the screw a tad, making it more difficult to remove.
At least now you will be able to i hope, turn it into a nice gren. I have a Mills Gibbon's spring gren with something inside it but cant get at it, probably a stone.

Andy

Hello Andy,
I'm sure you are correct the screw was vey rusty. You may be able to help me here. I have a Kugel with a sawn off apparently genuine fuse and two repro fuses, one brass, and one zinc/pewter?
None of them will screw in fully to either grenade. I've been told that this is common but really need some expert advice. I'ts important to me as everything I have cataloged states clearly if it has some repro parts or is indeed a reproduction, or original?
Hope you may be able to advise me,
All best,
Guy.

Attachments

• egg and tools 1a.jpg
    egg and tools 1a.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 68
  • egg compare Kugel 1a.jpg
    egg compare Kugel 1a.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 55
Just run a standard 1/2" BSW (12 tpi) tap through the threads in both the Kugel and egg to clean them up - the threads get quite clagged over the years with rust and other crud. The genuine igniter at least will then fit a treat.

The Germans bought a lot of machine tools from Britain prior to WWI, hence the use of imperial threads in many munitions.

Hope this helps.

Tom.

Thanks Tom,
I still have a box of assorted Whitworth taps and dies somewhere in my workroom. I will start hunting tomorrow. With a bit of luck I may find the tap I'm looking for. Didn't know that the German chaps were using our kit!
All best,
navyman.

Even during the second world war, some shell fuzes (and possibly other ordnance) were made that were stamped with a "W" on the base to indicate that a Whitworth thread was used.

Egg & Kugal threads BSW

Thanks again Falcon for your assistance.
I obtained a 1/2" 12tpi Whitworth tap from Tracy tools in Devon, only cost 2.00 + p+p. It arrived almost immediately and the job was successfully finished in ten minutes. I highly recommend them for all sorts of taps & dies, right or left handed threads
Now my Kugel and Egg Egg grenades have clean threads and the fuses fit perfectly.
Best regards,
Guy.

Attachments

• Kugel & Egg 1.jpg
    Kugel & Egg 1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 22
Many apologies Tom.
It was you that told me about the BSW tap that I needed. No offence Falcon, and thanks for your import as well.
One of these days I'll reply without sending the message to the wrong person!
Thanks to all,
Best regards,
Guy.

Hello all,
I received this inert Eirehansgranate today. Heard something loose inside and having removed the car body filler from the base discovered a rusty woodscrew inside! I can't remove it from the deac base hole or the fuse pocket? How did it get in there, was it previously owned by Paul Daniels & Debbie, or am I losing my marbles?
Cheers,
navyman.
Hi navyman, I think you have an m1917 n/A WS egg grenade, the WS being for "wood screw". The purpose was for upon explosion of the grenade the wood screw would find its way into the "rear end" of an enemy troop, thus truly well, um I think you get the picture. Nice egg...Dano

Thanks Dano,
I've never heard of the WS grenade. I'm still not sure about the reason for the screw being in there? I've kept the screw, which is very corroded, just out of curiosity. Why would anyone want to put a single round nose screw inside a simple 'Egg' grenade, and how much difference would it make at the moment of detonation?
I'd like to know any more info on this subject because the only reason I can see is that it was used to screw the inert grenade to a wooden base of some sort, perhaps as a trophy or piece of memorablia to sit on the mantlepiece after the war was over?
I'd appreciate any comments on this one?
Best regards,
navyman.