What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easy way to cut/section???

GermanMilitariaUK

Premium Member
Hi all.

I've got a small collection of German 75mm - 88mm projectiles (75mm HE, 75mm AP, 75mm HL, 88mm HE, 8cm Werfer).

What would be the best way to section them so they look good, possibly a V shape cut?

Hi DJH.

Thanks for the amazing link, will be very helpful. I'll start on the 88mm HE flak case and projectile and see how I do before starting the rest. Will let you know on progress.

Hi Bernard, if you use a Zt.Z S30 or a A 23 on the 8,8cm , FIRST cut the fuze in the way that will make most parts visable. Only after that you draw the cutting lines on the body of the projectile . If you do it the other way around , you may end up with the most interesting parts not in the cutaway surface , but somewhere in the back (invisable) .
Use a large coarse 14 to 16" rasp to smoothen the projectile, not a 6 "sweet rasp as you'll be rasping your hands off with a small rasp.

Good luck and I am looking forward to the results of your cutaway model.

Regards DJH

Last edited:
Hi.

Thanks so much for the info. Ill start with the 88mm HE over the holidays I hope step by step and will take pictures as I go alone.

FIRST cut the fuze in the way that will make most parts visable. Only after that you draw the cutting lines on the body of the projectile .

Great advice, it is simple, but sometime the simple stuff is not obvious until it is too late.
Gus
PS wouldn't the easiest way to section a shell be to send it to Paul?