What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Egyptian Christians under attack

four months ago at my work during a discussion about the north african revolution I made a prediction. All these countries now fighting for freedom; Tunesia, Egypt, Algeria, Lybia, Syria, Jemen will be soon clones of the current Iran. Those who took up the initial fight for freedom on the city squares will be killed, in jail, exile, either be a political refugee somewhere in the world. Lots of laughter.... No one however seemed to realize that in these countries there is absolutely NO history of democracy, and hardly seperation of church and state. Any Political oponent has allways been killed by the ruling dictator, so there is no known (expierienced) democratic parlementary opposition like in the western countries. Religion was allowed by these dictators as far as it did not form a danger to their power, in fact in many cases dictator and religion worked toghether as both realized that together they had an even firmer grip on power than each one seperate (Iran f.i.). So, with the dictator removed, make an educated guess who is now going to fill the power vacuum........
I hope very much that I am wrong, but I think pandora's box has opened.

Last edited:
Possible, but the tendency will be for a military dictatorship to eventually emerge from these uncoordinated, poorly controlled revolutions. Then we can make friends again with the oppressive dictators. Then a few years later...

very well said my thoughts exactly!

four months ago at my work during a discussion about the north african revolution I made a prediction. All these countries now fighting for freedom; Tunesia, Egypt, Algeria, Lybia, Syria, Jemen will be soon clones of the current Iran. Those who took up the initial fight for freedom on the city squares will be killed, in jail, exile, either be a political refugee somewhere in the world. Lots of laughter.... No one however seemed to realize that in these countries there is absolutely NO history of democracy, and hardly seperation of church and state. Any Political oponent has allways been killed by the ruling dictator, so there is no known (expierienced) democratic parlementary opposition like in the western countries. Religion was allowed by these dictators as far as it did not form a danger to their power, in fact in many cases dictator and religion worked toghether as both realized that together they had an even firmer grip on power than each one seperate (Iran f.i.). So, with the dictator removed, make an educated guess who is now going to fill the power vacuum........
I hope very much that I am wrong, but I think pandora's box has opened.