What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eiaz 25

Hi Paul

Here is the said article that has had a few people confused over the letter y and this is why this one of mine is in the nude:tinysmile_twink_t2: nay mercury switches to be seen.

Best phil

Nice one,thank you for that my friend. :)

W

Im a firm believer that 25 y fuze as an anti disturbance fuze is a mistake, and was how fuzeman stated, Looked like a 25 but NOT a 25, actually a 50 fuze. I would think the German armourers would have had a logistical nightmare if there was a "special" 25 as well as a impact version, there doesnt appear to be any evidence from German manuals to sugest this was the case either.

Old fuzemans going to throw his bit in to confuze everybody he he
The two (55)A fuzes i have here one is marked CPP y and the other is marked
CPP X therefore the y does not in this case stand for an extra Ie nose switch it must be some kind of subsidary marking, very strange because both fuzes are from batch 8a

Hi Alex I have one too these fuzes had a shorter arming time than the normal (9) which made them unsuitable for low level bombing.
They are Not anti disturbance fuzes just a normal airburst fuze

I think this thread has run its course , but will just add this description should cover the Y fuze saga
The (50) was a standard Electrical , Condenser , Resistance fuze , its charge being held in a condenser , that would slowly discharge over a relative short period where as the
(50)B Y Contained a Seperate Battery operated circuit , the batteries could hold their charge for several years.

Not putting this to bed yet........
Ive just been looking through some of my stuff and found thistraining info what i believe is from around the 1980s..plenty of mention of 25 Y fuzes been anti distubance...and yes it also states that not all "Y " stamps indicate anti disturbance

Attachments

• 1 25 y.jpg
    1 25 y.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 2 25y.jpg
    2 25y.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 29
  • 3 25y.jpg
    3 25y.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 4 25y.jpg
    4 25y.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 25
Good for you Spott....I also would agree that a Mod or Admin decides when a thread has run its course!...:tinysmile_shutup_t:
Just to throw a spanner in the works i present a picture borrowed from a friend of mine im hoping to work a deal with... :p

best

waff

Attachments

• 25 'Y'.jpg
    25 'Y'.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 38
Good for you Spott....I also would agree that a Mod or Admin decides when a thread has run its course!...:tinysmile_shutup_t:
Just to throw a spanner in the works i present a picture borrowed from a friend of mine im hoping to work a deal with... :p

best

waff

Aye up do we have a genuine 25 y in our midst :marchmellow:
some more pics at your leasure my friend

Best phil

best

waff

Nice photo waff !! Is this the end of a long-running mystery?

Photographic evidence of 25 with a Y marking.
Steve also commented earlier on seeing an x-ray of a 25Y fuze. It sure would be good to have the one in the photo x-rayed too!

I find it difficult to believe that so much has been written about the existance of a 25Y fuze, that it was all just an initial misunderstanding. There is a lot of documents out there with mention of a 25 Y anti-disturbance fuze. So maybe here it is at last.

Well done Paul in sourcing the photo, of course the final evidence lies within. I wonder if we are close to finally putting this one to bed???

regards
Kev

according to Spotters document the 25 Y fuze is a B variety, and the one in Waffs pic is a D I believe. Would love to see it out of that pocket though, looks like it may be a bit dificult to remove.

according to Spotters document the 25 Y fuze is a B variety, and the one in Waffs pic is a D I believe. Would love to see it out of that pocket though, looks like it may be a bit dificult to remove.

Yeah,just seen the D after the elaz 25. Looks like we were all hooked on the 'Y'!!

best

waff

Last edited:
ELAZ 25B Y Fuze;

In the book "Unexploded Bomb, a History of Bomb Disposal by Major A. B. Hartley, MBE, RE, Chapter 11, "Getting on Top 1943", page 141, Major W.G. Parker found a 25B Y fuze along with Captain F. Caryle. They attempted to use the liquid fuze discharger which failed to fill the fuze. It had to be manually removed with hammer and chisel and taken to the boffins which determined it was designed to operate like the 50 Y. A later radiograph would discover a second one.
Steve this may well be the radiograph that you saw.
Regards,
John aka Bart