What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ejection Seat Case

FNG61

Martin-Baker ejection seat case. 2 1/2" long x 1 7/8 across base. Berdan primed. Base of case marked; SEAT EJECTION PRIMARY / No3 MK 3 / MBEJ-646-AVR / MARTIN-BAKER AIRCRAFT CO LTD / MBAC 20 (in circle). From some brief web perusal; this is a blank round used to eject the aircraft seat from modern(post WW2) aircraft. The MK 3 was used in such aircraft as the Javelin. There were 2 primary cartridges and 4 secondary. When fired they caused metal posts to telescope out and project the seat and it's contents up and away from the aircraft and its appendages(or empennages).

Attachments

• MB1.JPG
    MB1.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 9
  • MB2.JPG
    MB2.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 20
  • MB3.JPG
    MB3.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 8
Martin Baker Company

The Martin Baker Ejection Seat company always had a very prominent sign outside the factory saying-

LIVES SAVED TO DATE- and this was followed by the actual recorded number of those fortunate enough to have used the escape system and kept their lives.

However the charge cartridge cases are extremely rare as I think yours is probably only the third or fourth one I have ever seen !
So, nice item FNG61.

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

Last edited:
The RAF Museum has or had a sign on its Martin Baker stand , showing lives saved todate , and some iteresting film of the early days.

Have a look at this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgcPhl1UIhA"]YouTube- Martin-Baker Ejection Tests[/ame]

The Martin Baker Ejection Seat company always had a very prominent sign outside the factory saying-

LIVES SAVED TO DATE- and this was followed by the actual recorded number of those fortunate enough to have used the escape system and kept their lives.

However the charge cartridge cases are extremely rare as I think yours is probably only the third or fourth one I have ever seen !
So, nice item FNG61.

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

Doh! I just sold it cheap. There are a few websites devoted (devoted!) to ejection seats and they say that on the early seats anyway, you would probably end up with an injury(back injury common) if you had to use it so alot of reasearch has gone into making them effective and safe. Modern aircraft will use rockets instead of cartridges. In David hackworth's book "About Face" he talks about in Viet Nam helicoptering to recover a bailed out pilot and when they got to him his legs had been sheared off at the knees due to a ejection mishap from a Phantom.

Doh! I just sold it cheap. There are a few websites devoted (devoted!) to ejection seats and they say that on the early seats anyway, you would probably end up with an injury(back injury common) if you had to use it so alot of reasearch has gone into making them effective and safe. Modern aircraft will use rockets instead of cartridges. In David hackworth's book "About Face" he talks about in Viet Nam helicoptering to recover a bailed out pilot and when they got to him his legs had been sheared off at the knees due to a ejection mishap from a Phantom.

Ejection nowadays is by use of carts and rockets. The Phantom incident was due to the individual hitting the cockpit with his knees on the way out...

Nasty!

ejection seats also had (have) leg restraints (small blue webbing straps) that on ejection pull the seat jockeys legs in close to the seat to try and avoid the flailing leg syndrome. Actually, I once saw a person killed by a MB ejection seat - the aircraft was on the ground but presumably the safety tags had not been inserted as the person involved was on the access ladder doing something over the cockpit side when the seat activated taking him high into the air but without a chute to retard his descent. Not pleasant.

ejection seats also had (have) leg restraints (small blue webbing straps) that on ejection pull the seat jockeys legs in close to the seat to try and avoid the flailing leg syndrome. Actually, I once saw a person killed by a MB ejection seat - the aircraft was on the ground but presumably the safety tags had not been inserted as the person involved was on the access ladder doing something over the cockpit side when the seat activated taking him high into the air but without a chute to retard his descent. Not pleasant.

Was that a Navy Harrier at Yeovelton?